Friday, January 19, 2007

80s Teen Fiction -- My Guilty Pleasure

My one and only guilty pleasure is 80's teen fiction. Particularly paperbacks. I like to read them while I take a bath.
I have been reading teen fiction since before I was a teenager!!! I read all the Sweet Valley High books and The Girls of Canby Hall series. I also had series' called Sugar and Spice and All That Glitters. I never see those anywhere(being sold used, of course).
But I still love to read all those old 80s books. Probably because I love the 80s!!! Also, they are pretty simple books and are not raunchy or dark as some teen fiction today is. I think it is a bit like revisting my youth as well(although I was not a teenager till the end of the 80s/beginning of 90s).
Whatever the reason, I love to scour thrift stores and antique stores for these old books. There is one place in Junction City that has a pretty good collection that I put a dent in today(okay, just 4 books, but there's about 10 more!!). I was also impressed with the goodwill's collection. Someone must have recently donated them, though, as I have looked there before and they had nothing.
And that's my guilty pleasure.

2 comments:

suzanne said...

sorry this isn't about your current post...in one of your earlier posts you mentioned you'd like to have a pet. how about a virtual pet until you get a real one? if you go to www.neopets.com, you can join for free and choose a neopet! you can either create one or adopt one. if i had been aware of adopting, i would have done that. unfortunately, you can't change the name when you adopt a neopet. anyway, check it out. you never know, it might be something you'll like.

Robyn :) said...

Neat idea. I'll have to check that out.