Thursday, January 18, 2007

Kansas

When my husband(then my fiance) first told me that his orders were to go to Fort Riley, Kansas I thought(Kansas?? Oh). To be honest, I was less than thrilled. I was hoping for something in the southern states or Germany(still hoping for that one!!) or Hawaii. But he was assigned to Kansas. I consoled myself with the thought that it wasn't Alaska(the last place we want to be transferred to, unless we can only stay during the summer months!!).

As most people, I envisioned Kansas like you see it in the Wizard of Oz --- flat, dusty, dreary and full of tornadoes. When I visited last Christmas I was in for a surprise. First, it wasn't flat. There were hills. Not big hills like in California, but hills. I would later learn that Northeast Kansas is known as the flint hills area. It was winter so there was some snow on the ground and it was not dreary. I came to really like the small town atmosphere of Junction City, Manhattan and nearby Abilene. I felt better about my eventual move.

I came here to live on August 18, 2006. We moved to a very small town called Milford. There are no stoplights. There are few businesses. It is a small town. And I love it. Having been raised in the Los Angeles suburbs and then living in the Tampa suburbs for the past three years, this was quite a change, but a welcome one.

At first I was not happy in Kansas, though. Although I loved the area I was not crazy about Fort Riley(very confusing to drive through, streets and buildings not marked too clearly, the streets go in circles and one ways and roundabouts), I was not making friends as quickly as my husband hoped and not with the people he wanted me to be friends with(though he finally did realize that I would make friends in my own time and it didn't have to be with army wives from his troop), and I missed my friends back home and Florida terribly. Also, I was not happy to have to pay property taxes on my car since it was in my name only and not my husband's(military is exempt from this). One of the things I do not like about Kansas!

But things got better. I started making friends and they are the greatest friends. Most are now wives from my husband's troop and he's happy and I'm happy and I have wonderful support. I also have great friends from church that help me and look out for me. I love my ward and my bishop. I am active in church and have a calling that involves temple work, which I also love. I love my trailer home and I have a nice landlady. I love Milford. I am getting used to Fort Riley. I am getting more involved in activities on Post and find the history of it interesting(even if I still don't like the post itself much). I love the Northeast area of Kansas and visiting all the nearby towns(especially Abilene). I love the "big" city of Topeka. I am happy here and have even told my husband that if he decides to not re-enlist we are staying here for awhile!!!

2 comments:

Dr. Bill ;-) said...

So happy you like the Flint Hills. Hope you will reach out and visit all 22 counties .... ;-)

Check out: kansasflinthills.travel
just register with a user id and password of your choice. We hope to have it open to the public by the end of the month!
You can see my occasional blog at:
http://flinthillsofkansas.blogspot.com/

Robyn :) said...

Thanks Dr. Bill!!! I hope I do get to all 22 counties in the time I am here. I am always on the lookout for new places to explore.