Monday, April 30, 2007

Government Lies

I've always had it in the back of my mind that the government lies to us, but never really thought about it until now. Because I now KNOW they do.

What am I talking about? These Deployment Extensions.

#1. The government has said to the American public that with these 15 month deployments the soldiers will be guaranteed 12 months home when they get back. I'm sorry, the EXACT WORDS were at their home station. In either case, these are lies. Or not the whole truth. Let me explain.....
The soldier's unit is guaranteed 12 months at their home station. But, what if a soldier goes to another unit?? That's right -- no more guarantee!! He deploys when that UNIT deploys. In my husband's case, the unit will be dissolved upon return so all of the members of his unit will go to other units so basically, his unit has no guarantee of 12 months.
The government is putting out this information about 12 months home to make the general public feel better about the situation, but Army families know what the real deal is.

#2. My husband is being lied to directly. He says that they are still being told in his unit that the extension is a rumor and may not apply to them since they are already over there. However, over here we have been told by Rear Detachment that it is going to be 15 months. Now I don't know if this is a break down in communication or if they are trying to keep the soldiers' morale up, but someone is not getting the correct information. I wish it were us, but I know better. Also, it is really hard to dispute when the Secretary of Defense goes on TV and says EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY ALL ARMY DEPLOYMENTS will be 15 MONTHS even if you are ALREADY THERE.

Okay, so this is the one area where I know that the government is telling lies, preumably to make the American public feel better, which is no excuse. The old adage "You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time" best sums it up(if I said it right).

I welcome any comments.

2 comments:

Martin Bunch said...

Interesting....I guess if you don't like it....move somewhere else. The government isn't perfect, but your loved one did sign up for the militery volun tarily, that's their job. I appreciate their service and am thankful they do what they do, so we can say what we want. Please tell them thank you and stay safe.

Robyn :) said...

Thank you. It is always nice to hear people express their appreciation for the military :)
I want to clarify that I am not arguing with the government for their decision. Extensions are ALWAYS a possibility. I accepted the extension news after a brief 15 minute period of screaming, crying, cursing and feeling sorry for myself!! Then I sucked it up and thought about how to deal with it.
I'm just not happy now with the fact that they are saying certain things that just are not true or are not the whole truth.