Thursday, October 30, 2008

If the Ghosts Don't Get You, the Wind Will!!

Last Sunday was the annual Fort Riley Ghost tours put on by The Historical Sociey. The first year I was here I helped out by playing a part(I'll tell you later what it was). Last year TJ had just gotten back home and I think I was sick, so we didn't go.. So this year was the first for him.

I was asked to help out at the Ways ad Means table...

so the regular Ways and Means person could go on the tour. As it was at the end of the tour and she came back early, I ended up not selling anything, just guarded the table.

TJ helped...

We both, at separate times, got hit in the face with the framed price list. Now, granted, it was super windy, but it seems a little too coincidental AND was it really that strong of a wind out there?? I think a ghost had a hand in it.

TJ also helped put this up...


We went on the tour, which I should probably explain. You walk through Main Post, stopping at various locations where a storyteller tells you about a haunting associated with that stop. You also get to learn some history of the Post. Some of the stories are old, some are recent.

Okay, having explained that, this guy was at our first stop...

He was awesome. not only was he dressed the part, he talked in a creepy, yet soothing voice!! He was my favorite.

At another stop we saw this...

The ghost of Susan Fox by the old train depot. She died of cholera in the 1800s and her grave was moved and then lost. True story. They think her ghost is looking for it. There have been sightings.

Next this guy told us a story...


Later there was this lady...

Who looks very auhentic, except for the gloves and bullhorn.

One of the crossing guards got attacked...


Then we saw this....

The lady in chains, reported to walk this field. No on knows who she is, though, or why she is in chains. True story. I played her 2 years ago.

The last storyteller to dress up was her...


The whole tour took almost 2 hours!! That is 2 hours of walking, standing, and battling cold wind.

Almost as fascinating as the ghost stories to me were...

the scenery...



the decorations....


and the sunset....


Now, I am off to a Haunted House and then I'm going to carve a pumpkin. I just love Halloween!!

1 comment:

Kim said...

I just LOVE that last picture!