Sunday, October 5, 2008

Memories of OJ

I am stealing Kim's blog topic.

They found OJ Simpson guilty of robbery, kidnapping and something else in Las Vegas on Friday, exactly 13 years to the day after he was found not guilty of murdering his ex-wife and her friend. Freakish coincidence????

Anyway, I thought I would share some memories of that time. When the murders happened I was in college, but living at home. On the day he was supposed to turn himself I came home(it was one of my early days)and my cousins, Henry, Margaret(his wife) and his son, Ray were at the house. They had come over to visit my grandma and ended up fixing our doorbell or porch light and cutting down a tree down in the backyard. I remember I was mad because my soaps were not on because they kept interrupting. Then that crazy OJ decided to have a car case!!! Car chases were quite common and exciting in L.A. at the time. Not at slow speeds, though. Who can forget that white Bronco slowly making it's way down the L.A. freeway system? People were standing on the overpasses with signs that said stuff like "We love you, OJ". I remember when he got home they reported that one inside he asked for a glass of orange juice. Ironic.

I remember the long televised trial. I remember the dancing Ito's on Jay Leno(the judge was named Ito). I remember "if the glove does not fit, you must acquit".

Then there was the verdict. To be handed down at 9am on a Thursday(or Tuesday?)morning. I had a class. Arabs and Muslims. Professor Price was teaching that day. It was a large class in a lecture hall. I brought a Walkman and headphones. The girl behind me had a Walkman and earphones, but her Walkman stopped working. I gave her mine because her earphones were less conspicuous than my headphones. Sh whispered the verdict to us. Other people had done the same so whispers went through the room and reached the professor. He announced it for us.

Now, you may be wondering why I didn't just skip class that day. Well, I was having trouble in it and couldn't afford to miss it.

Anyway, later in the lecture the professor said to us that in the coming years we would not remember what the lecture was about that day, but we would always remember that we were in his class that day and that we were in that class when they handed down the OJ verdict.

He was right!! I have no idea what the lecture was about. But I do have my notebook pages from that day and can look it up because I wrote on the top of the page, OJ verdict - not guilty!!

4 comments:

Kim said...

LOL!! Even I don't remember that the verdict was supposed to be handed down at 9AM that day!

Robyn :) said...

I only remember that because i had a class at that time

Sharon said...

Yup, it's Army housing. We are actually in the old O-4 O-5 housing. We are in where they would put Majors and LTC's before they built the new housing. There are actually no houses here that are connected to other homes. They are all stand alone houses. It's so nice! Post is really small so that has taken some getting used to, but I like it.
Miss ya! Tell TJ we said hi.

Aubrey said...

you're funny, it was a tiny spider.