Monday, October 20, 2008

Road to Recovery

Well, even though I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to renew my Celexa prescription, I decided to try for a same day appointmet today to see about my knees. I got one luckily.

What prompted this was still having pain when I woke up. It was still hard to stand up(thought once I am up it is fine). I tested myself further by getting on the computer. After just 5 minutes of sitting on the computer chair normally, I was in excrutiating pain. I called in sick to work today because I knew I could not make it sitting in chairs. I could stand all day, but that would not work for some of the classes I am in.

Anyway, I had my appointment and what I have is Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome. Doesn't that sound so dramatic????????????? What it means is Kneecap Pain or "Runners Knee"(funny, since I don't run). The patella is your kneecap and the femur is your thigh. Exactly where the pain is!! It is caused by pressure or strain.

The doctor explained that our joins start deteriorating after 30 anyway and this may have been coming on for me and the strain of lifting a heavy child just pushed it. It also didn't help that for the past week I have continued sitting crosslegged at school and getting up and down alot.

The treatment is 500 mg Naproxen(Aleve) and stretching exercises to do daily. Also to rest my legs as much as possible and not do the stuff that is putting strain on them(so no sitting criss cross applesauce for awhile!!). She also prescribed some vitamins to strengthen the joints and said I culd ice and heat them or use Icy Hot for temporary relief.

Since I had called in sick, after I got home TJ and I went to Manhattan to register(today was the deadline). TJ was supposed to have funeral pracice but it turns out it is some kind of training holiday so most soldiers have today off(my knees picked a good day to be especially bad). After registering we had lunch in Aggieville then went to Starbucks for a Choclate Chip Frappachino(it doesn't have coffee in it!!). then we went to Joann's and Mr.P's party outlet for Halloween decorations. got some cute things to put in the yard and windows and to hang. Unfortunately, Scout thinks the sticky window cling bats are bugs and began attacking them and pulling them down to play with!! I hopefully got them up high enough where he won't get to them!!

Just going to rest for the rest of the day and ice and heat my legs for 2 or 3 hours. I may take picures of the kitchen today, too and the guest bathroom and then blog about those and the livingroom.

2 comments:

Jennifer P. said...

I am so sorry to hear this Robyn! I would rather take all over body pain than that nasty zooming in on one particular part. OUCHIE! Hope the meds and stretches help...and fast!

suzanne pena said...

i'm glad you found out what the problem was and that it can be fixed! rest easy, girl!