Monday, October 13, 2008

There's No Place Like Wamego

Especially for a decent enchilada outside of California, but I'll explain that one in a bit!!

The Saturday before last, after TJ got home from working a funeral, we headed on over to Wamego, KS, for their annual Oztoberfest.

We took the yellow brick road(or Hwy 24. It's not yellow, but it leads you to the Oz stuff)....


But first we made a .....

hee hee.

I was dressed for the occasion...

Yep, those are ruby slippers. I made them myself several years ago for Halloween. They are red sequins sewed on white Dearfoams. I also thought the shirt looked kind of Dorothyish. And I put my hair in pigtails, which I really liked.

For lunch we decided to try this place...

Because, don't you automatically think tacos when you hear "Toto"????

They also built this place next door for more seating...


Instead of it being over the rainbow, the rainbow was inside...



Let's take a break here and talk about the lunch we had, shall we? We ordered enchiladas. You probably don't know that I am very picky about enchiladas. They have to taste a certain way and that way can only be achieved by using a red sauce that tastes a certain way and being smothered in it and cheese. Not just any cheese, but a yellow or orange cheese. I have not been able to find an enchilada like this outside of california, and only at a couple of places there. The closest I have found is a Taco Bell enchirito. Sad, isn't it?

Well, Toto's Tacos, of all places, makes a decent enchilada!!!! In fact, they make a mighty delicious decent taco!! Good enough to compete with any enchilada I have had back in California. This is because the boss there is from California. i am beyond thrilled to have found good enchiladas here in Kansas!! Good going Toto!!!

While we were waiting for our food a guy came up to me and asked where I got my ruby slippers. I was very pround to tell him that I made them. I also think the guy was gay, so I was honored that he liked them enough to inquire about them because I am assuming he wanted a pair.

After lunch we went to the OZ museum...


and took some pictures with the displays inside...

TJ mourning the wicked witch


TJ mad at me for making him pose like that


Put em up!!!


Poppies...poppies....


After the museum we walked around the town looking at the (few) craft booths and (several)antique trucks and tractors(I have pictures on MySpace in the NEW album).

Then it was time to go home.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Did you click your heels twice to go home? ;)

Robyn :) said...

yeah, and then we walked to the car and TJ drove us there!!

Jennifer P. said...

Wow! I never knew that place existed! Now I have a new place to put on my "places I want to see" list! Very fun and LOVE your shoes!