Thursday, November 13, 2008

Cali Trip 2007 -- Camp Pendleton and Oceanside Harbor

On our second day in California TJ and I took a trip down to San Diego County. I had never been to Camp Pendleton, a large Marine base, so I thought it would be fun to check it out, plus we have government ID cards so I figured we could even do some shopping there.

On the way we stopped at a rest area with this interesting sign....

Luckily we didn't see any.

Next stop was Camp Pendleton



The first thing we did was go and play some games....

Not only did that house the bowling alley, it also had an arcade. Wish we had an arcade at Fort Riley.

Next we went to the MEX...


Tha stands for Marine Exchange. In the army it is called the Post Exchange. The difference was that here at Fort Riley it is one building with a big Walmart(though not that big) type store and a couple little specialty shops, food court and carts, at Camp Pendleton it was a whole little shopping center!!

In another place they had their Commissary(which was nicer than ours) and some other stores including a pet store!! I bought Scout a toy he never plays with.

We drove around the base a little and saw some stuff like their housing areas...


Very nice.

And an airfield...


That was pretty much it for Camp Pendleton.

However, it happens to be in the beautiful town of Oceanside, which is, you guessed it -- by the ocean!! I had only driven through it, so we decided to go have lunch down at Oceanside Harbor...


We had lunch at Joe's Crab Shack...

where we had a beautiful view...

and also got to watch a guy wash his boat and a seagull steal one of the fish he caught!!

Next we took a walk around the harbor...

and shopped.

One of the tourist shops I went in and bought stuff was owned by a retired Marine. He commented that he was wearing a red shirt like me and I showed him what mine said(it is for Red Fridays supporting military). He thanked me for wearing that and I explained that my husband was just outside and that he was a soldier and just got back from Iraq the previous month so the man went out and talked to him and thanked him for his service. That was really nice.

On our way back North we passed the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant...


Then it was on to my most favorite place in the world... Laguna Beach!! I'll save that for the next post.

No comments: