Saturday, November 15, 2008

Cali Trip 2007 -- Griffith Park and East L.A.

On Saturday we took a trip into Los Angeles to Griffith Park Observatory. On the way there I took the 5 fwy so I could show TJ where my mom and dad met and used to work....



It is now an outlet mall, but it used to be Uniroyal Tire. The plant is gone, but the office buildings where my mom and dad worked(and met)are still standing. They look like a castle.

I chose Griffith Park Observatory for our trip into Los Angeles because I hadn't been there in a while and I thought it gave pretty good views of LA. I thought TJ would enjoy it, too. Plus it was fairly close to Silver Lake where we planned to visit an old friend from college at her gallery/boutique.

Here is the beautiful observatory...


and a view from the parking lot...


Unfortunately the morning was quite hazy so the views weren't too good. Here we are trying to get the Hollywood sign...

It's there, I swear.

We did get a nice view of some of the hiking trails in Griffith Park...


While at the observatory we saw a show in their world famous planeterium....



It was recently redone so the seats were very comfy(no more wooden headrests!! They were quick to point this out). The show was about how ancient people used the stars and planets to tell stories or somehing like that. It was cool. Last time I saw a show there it was a lazer show set to Pink Floyd music. The time before that was a show on Haley's Comet. Yeaaaahhh, that was back in elementary school.

We had a light lunch at the snack bar and got souvenirs at the gift shop and then headed on over to Silver Lake.

One of my friends from college, Ramey, owns a gallery/boutique(Grace Ellay) right on Silver Lake Blvd in downtown Silver Lake. It has really cute stuff and beautiful artwork. I was so excited to see Ramey again and her awesome store. I also found the perfect pair of Amethyst earrings to go with my dress for an upcoming ball(which ended up being cancelled) and was even going to use the organza pouch she put them in as a purse!!! Oh well. I still have both for a future occasion.

On the way back I took a wrong exit on one of the freeways(that downtown interchange is confusing!!). Realizing my mistake I got off in an unfamiliar neighborhood, but thanks to my excellent sense of direction and a vague recollection of where major streets are I managed to end up on Whittier Blvd. Instead of getting back on the freeway I decided to give TJ a little bit of local culture for the day and I continued on to here...

I tell you, it is quite an experience driving through East LA on Whittier Blvd on a Saturday afternoon. I learned defensive driving this way. There is so much to see and so many people. The highlight of the drive was seeing a truck with chicken crates and a man standing next to it holding a live chicken upside down by its feet while it sturggled and flapped it's wings. Unfortunately we could not get a picture in time.

We headed on home down Whittier Blvd and then rested up for a party that evening.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I laughed when I read the part about you learning defensive driving in East LA. Best place to learn if you know what I mean!! Awwww, no pics of the "cultural experience" of Whittier Blvd???