Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Cali Trip 2007 -- Rose Hills

I just couldn't wait to post another one!! Be sure to read my other post, below, on Utah.

Okay, so on our first official day in California I decided to take TJ on a tour of my hometown of Whittier to see stuff like my first elementary school and my college(which we didn't get out and walk around at because I had sent him a DVD while he was in Iraq of it from a trip a year earlier). Then I took him up to Rose Hills.


Rose Hills is a cemetery. A rather large one. It may be the largest in the US. It's in the Whittier Hills. I took TJ up there for 3 reasons... to see the view of Los Angeles, to see a chapel I had never been in and to drive the car in neutral backwards UP a hill.

Okay, so first I took him to this one little road inside the cemetery that is a little spooky. I discovered this last year after talking to cousins and driving around a bit and experimenting. Anyway, you go in the main entrance and past the main buildings and at the first(or second?) road you turn right. Then you make a left on the next road(I think) and go to the end. Looks like you just went down a slight hill. You stop, put you car in neutral and wait to roll forward onto another road, but wait!!!! Your car starts rolling backwards, uphill!!!!!!! What the? This, my friend, is called a gravity hill. It is actually going down, but because of the landscape aroud it it looks like it is going up. Freaky. I love it.

Okay, so next I drove all the way up to the top of the cemetery to the Sky Rose Chapel. I had always heard about how beautiful it was, but never got a chance to actually go in it. Here is what it looks like inside...

Isn't it beautiful?

Check out these amazing beams...


This is what it looks like from the altar...


Then there is this huge winbdow at the front behind the alter...


With this spectacular view...


Here it is from outside...


They have weddings and funerals in the Sky Rose Chapel. There was going to be a funeral that afternoon.

After that I took TJ to Uptown Whittier where we discovered an awesome candy store -- Village Sweets -- we happened to park in front of it, with a really sweet owner. We also checked out the new Little Old Bookstore. They moved to a bigger space and now sell new as well as used books.

I think that late afternoon we went to Seafare Inn with my mom. So yummy!! That eveing we drove around through a bit of orange county trying to decide what to do(movies, minature golf, bowling?) and ended up back in Whittier at Friendly Hills Bowl(we tried La habra, but it was super crowded!!!).

Tomorrow I will take you on down to San Diego county to Camp Pendleton and Oceanside Harbor

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow! That view is beautiful!!

Kim said...

From what I've heard, it's the largest cemetary in the world.