Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Cali Trip 2007 -- Utah, the land of Mormons, and Beyond

So, if you read my post from yesterday, you will remember that we started our trip off in Kansas and then Colorado...

(This is looking back at Colorado from Utah.)

I fell asleep somewhere in Western Colorado(it's not that exciting, especially that 100 mile stretch with no services!!), but had made my husband wake me up before crossing the boarder into Utah. Here it is...


After crossing we stopped at the first rest stop which was just a shack with a toilet. A toilet with a bottomless pit!!! That was freaky(we have them in Kansas, too, I've discovered). Do you know how weird it is to hear your pee fall to fathomless depths?

Anyway, here is a picture of me at the rest stop after peeing in the weird toilet in the shack ....


and TJ....


Then we got back on the road and came to this...


Then you come to this....


The Canyons. So beautiful.

And you drive through them...



You can see the shadow of our car...


Another view...


That is what I always imagined Utah to look like(after seeing a commercial when I was a kid). I also thought of the state filled with Mormons. After all, a lot of Mormons do live there. I am a Mormon(a convert, 5 years). This was my first time in Utah, or as I told TJ, the land of our people.

As we exited the canyons it was my turn to drive.


Through one of the beautiful valleys of Utah.



Onto I-15(somewhere out there)

where we then headed south through St. George, Utah. We decided to stop there for dinner. We ate at Carl's Junior. TJ's first time. For those of you have never had Carl's Junior, I am sorry. They rock. And their food tastes just as yummy reheated. And they make an excellent fry sauce. I didn't know they had them Utah. I'd only seen them in California.

It was dark when we left St. George so we were able to see the temple there. Right in the middle of the city!! That was new for me. Of course, it is Utah, though.

Next we headed on down to Nevada(no pictures, it was too dark), but to our surprise(mostly mine) we went through Arizona first!! We were expecting a Nevada sign and instead get Arizona!! I had no idea I-15 went through a tiny 30 mile piece of it. It was a scary mountain road,. too.

We were supposed to stop for the night in Vegas(TJ had never been there), but we decided to drive straight through to California. I did, however, take TJ into the city and for a drive down the strip. It was sensory overload for him. We got pictures. but they were crappy.

Then we drove 45 minutes to the California border and about 4 hours more into the Riverside valley(after going through that scary Cajon Pass) and picked up the 210 Freeway. I took that down to 57 and took that south to good old Lambert Road. TJ was alseep by then. I drove down the familar street through Brea and La Habra and finally my beloved Whittier and into my neighborhood(after midnight)where my mom was waiting!!

It was the first time she met TJ :)

Tomorrow I will share with you our first day in California.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

This is really neat. I like being able to see your whole trip! :) Utah looks so beautiful too.

Kim said...

Woooow...TJ had never been to a Carl's Jr??? I am amazed... Then again, I grew up with one down the street from me...

Robyn :) said...

They don;t have Carls Jr in the East. in fact, the only 2 states i have seen it in is California and Utah, though I remember someone saying there was one in Washington.