Thursday, November 27, 2008

HAPPY THANKSGIVING.....




And nothing says Thanksgiving like a skeleton with a cornucopia coming out of his crotch!! This is on top of the chiropractic office in town. They dress him up for every holiday, but not usually this, um, interesting. They did do this last year, too, and a friend and relative expressed dismay that I did not photograph it before telling them about it. So I made a point to this year :)

I started the day about 8 or 9am doing something I hardly ever do -- I watched parades on TV. I switched back and forth between the Macy's and Chicago parades. I miss the days when CBS used to show not only the Macy's parade, but also taped parades from Disney World, Hawaii and some other location like the Toronto Christmas parade or the Branson Water Parade.

I finally got up around noon and made cookies(first I fell down the stairs and hurt my butt). I had TJ document the cookie making....

This first shot is a lovely one from behind. I am still in my PJ's and have not combed my hair

Rolling the dough....


Cutting it....


Turkey cutter.....


"decorating"....


Every year at Christmas I make my Grandma's Solo recipe European Kolachky cookies. I decided to make some for Thanksgiving as well this year and be daring and make them in turkey shapes. I also tried the almond flavor for the first time. it is good, but I like the fruit ones(like the apricot I also used)better. It took some trial and error but these came out pretty good....


Next year I think I am going to try gingerbread turkeys.

I also made some sugar cookie leaves...

I LOVED how these turned out.

After the cookies i took a shower and got ready to go to Mandy's. While there I made my famous Cranberry Mold/Log...

And, why yes, it bears a striking resemblence to a can :) I added some cranberry relish from the Emerald City Market in Wamego.

Dinner was absolutely awesome thanks to Mandy and her sister-in-law, Mandy (no kidding -- and to make things more interesting she invited another girl named Mandy to dinner!!. She also works with a Candy and a Brandy and lives across the street from a Sandy). They also made incredible Banana Cream(Mandy my friend) and Chocolate Cream(Mandy's sister-in-law) pies.

Now we are home and I pulled out some Christmas stuff. We found out TJ has to decorate his bike for the parade tomorrow -- Woo Hoo!! I have plans :)

Hope everyone else had a great Thanksgiving!!

2 comments:

Pienovski said...

If you hear someone in your kitchen tonight, don't be alarmed, it will only be me, endeavoring those lovely delicious looking cookies!

Kim said...

Those Santa pants are cute!!