Friday, December 26, 2008

Fa La La La Lights!!

One of my most favorite Christmas traditions and definitely my most favorite part of Christmas is looking at Christmas lights. I don't know who the genius was that thought it would be a good idea to put lights on his house for the holidays, but he was truly a great man!! Or woman. Anyway...

When I was a kid my dad would take me every year for one night to look at Christmas lights in our hometown. It's how I really got to know the city inside out. My mom took me one year after he died and she was amazed at how well I knew all the neighborhoods. When I could drive I started taking myself and expanded to a few nights so I could see more. When I moved to Florida I continued the tradition. and the first year I was here in Kansas I went out for several nights. It's how I really got to know Junction City and some other nearby towns and Post.

This year i went out 3 nights. It would have been more, but the weather was bad. The first night, TJ and I went on post. Highlights from that drive include....

This snazzy house on Custer Hill.....

This awesome lit up carousel in Ellis Heights...

and this wonderland of blow up stuff and lights on several homes in Meade Loop....


I'm sorry they are blurry. I have to use my Night Portrait setting on my camera and you have to be absolutely still and it is hard. Plus, I didn't want to linger too long in front of the homes in case they thought I was casing them or something!!

The second night I went alone to JC. I stayed up in the hills on the North side of town for the most part. Highlights include...

House with a big Pooh on the lawn...


Neat multi-colored lampost(can't really tell from my photo) and colored floodlights....


Two houses with lots of cool stuff...


Loved the arch and spiral trees....

Loved the star....


The last night we went was Christmas Eve after our dinner. We went through the hills in the south part of town and the older neighborhoods.

I loved that they put this on their chimney.....

Not a big fan of these colors solo on a house, but together it looked so awesome and peaceful...

Love the columns...

The swag on the balcony and on the fence really made this house...

I loved all the stuff, especially the arch, on this house...

This was actually the back of this house and I loved how they made the tree!!

The front was decorated, too. The house was on the corner and it's back faced the lower street. I thought it was awesome that they decorated both sides. This is in Green Hills.

So that was my light adventure for this year. It was also the first time I ever took pictures :)

Anyone else see some cool light displays?

No comments: