Thursday, January 8, 2009

When I Ruled the World

This song came on the radio this morning and for the first time I really listened to the lyrics. I have always liked the melody, but never knew any words besides the title and "I used to roll the dice". I didn't even know who sang it until I just looked up the lyrics (it's Cold Play). Anyway, the song is very beautiful. I thought it was about lost love and comparing that love to all these glorius things and now they are gone, but after closer inspection of the words I am not so sure. I think it can still be applied to that, but it also sounds like losing success or getting too cocky over something. The whole musical arrangement is incredible as well as it sounds orchestral(is that a word?) and I think they use a choir, too.

This is one of my new favorite songs :)

Anyway, here are the words...

I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sweep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy’s eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing:
“Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!”

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can’t explain
Once you go there was never, never an honest word
That was when I ruled the world

It was the wicked and wild wind
Blew down the doors to let me in.
Shattered windows and the sound of drums
People couldn’t believe what I’d become

Revolutionaries wait
For my head on a silver plate
Just a puppet on a lonely string
Oh who would ever want to be king?

I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can’t explain
I know Saint Peter will call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world
Ohh ohh ohhh, Ohh ohh ohhh,
Ohh ohh ohhh, Ohh ohh ohhh,
Ohh ohh ohhh,

I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing
Ohh ohh ohhh,Ohh ohh ohhh,
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Ohh ohh ohhh, Ohh ohh ohhh,
Be my mirror my sword and shield
Ohh ohh ohhh, Ohh ohh ohhh,
My missionaries in a foreign field
Ohh ohh ohhh, Ohh ohh ohhh,
For some reason I can’t explain
Ohh ohh ohhh,Ohh ohh ohhh,
I know Saint Peter will call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world



What are your interpretations?

1 comment:

suzanne pena said...

i don't have an interpretation. i haven't listened to it enough. i got several cd's for christmas and have been rotating them around.
it is actually the title cut, viva la vida. i believe the line is "for some reason i can't explain, i know st. peter WON'T call my name." i think that line makes more sense with the rest of the lyrics.
it is a good song and i like the album.