Monday, March 2, 2009

Rebirth


I think that is what March is supposed to be about, with Spring beginning and all. So that is what my post will be about.

I am writing this while watching the last 15 minutes of the Bachelor and right now poor Jason is crying on a balcony after letting one girl go and I just want to laugh. Insensitive, I know. I was making fun the whole time he was rejecting the girl. And she is just SHOCKED!! Oh well. Time for the winner!! Then that much hyped After the Rose show.

Okay, back to my topic. Well, while for a lot of the country March came in like a lamb, here it came in like a lamb. A shivering, freezing cold lamb, but a lamb nonetheless. Never fear, though, because on Thursday it will be 74 here!! Spring has sprung!!

Off topic -- I am still having trouble uploading pictures. I am posting old photos so this post will look pretty :) Here is one of the lamb cake I traditionally make, with a little surprise he he....



Now, back to rebirth....last week, TJ and I were standing in a very long line at the Commissary looking at the chocolate Easter bunnies and he commented on how he did not understand what a bunny has to do with eggs as bunnies don't even lay eggs. I added that I did not understand what a bunny and eggs has to do with the death and resuurection of Christ. I then began to form a couple of theories!!

Bunnies and eggs have more to do with the celebration of the Spring Solstice(beginning of Spring). A lot of Christian holidays coincide with pagan holidays so they could get the pagans interested in Christianity(or something like that). Rabbits/bunnies are notorious for reproducing rather quickly and abundantly so maybe the pagans celebrated them or used them as a symbol of the rebirth of Spring. Eggs also could have represented birth. Somewhere down the line maybe someone put the two together. Why? I don't know. Not sure where the painting of the eggs comes from I have no idea!! I should probably look these things up on Google!!


Something else I wanted to talk about is my relationship with my husband. I feel like I am falling in love with him all over again. I think I was taking him for granted for awhile, but lately I have been noticing all the little things I love about him. The other night we were lying in bed and I was just tracing his palm with my fingers and marvelling at the fact that I am actually married and have a husband who loves me for who I am and that I can just touch his hand like that. I love just holding his hand, too. And being with him. When we went to church yesterday I was very annoyed by the kids sitting behind us talking and sometimes kicking the seats and I wanted to go sit in the foyer, but I did not want leave my husband's side :) I never did get up :)

Okay, need to interrupt here with a snippet from the Bachelor After the Rose. I may paraphrase.
Chris Harrison -- "You're going to officially break up here with Melissa. How do you think that is going to go?"
Jason -- "I don't know".
Me -- "Okay, really Jason??? I know how it is going to go. BADLY!!!"
Looks like I was right.

Okay, so back to my husband. I love him so much.

Okay, I just realized that this Bachelor stuff has to do with my topic as Jason is dumping the girl he chose and trying to get the other one back!!! Funny how that turned out!!

I will leave you with one last picture. This one and the first one were taken last August at the Winter Quarters LDS Temple in Omaha, NE.


UPDATE: From Wikpedia...."Eggs, like rabbits and hares, are fertility symbols of extreme antiquity. Since birds lay eggs and rabbits and hares give birth to large litters in the early spring, these became symbols of the rising fertility of the earth at the Vernal Equinox."

1 comment:

Jennifer P. said...

I was going to tell you that you were right on about your rabbit and egg assumptions, but you went and looked it up yourself :)!

Loved hearing how at peace you are in your relationship. Such a comparison between how you feel being happily married and Jason and his harem of weepy women :)!

May the peace and love you feel right now dwell in your heart always!