Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Me, A Trendsetter????

I like to think of myself as a person who does not follow a trend. That I am too cool or something, but the truth is, I do. Lots of them. Mostly in the cyber world. I have a blog, a MySpace, a Facebook, and a Twitter. Most of these I started after my friends were doing it. One I did not.

Let me tell you a bit about my relationships with these trends as well as one other.

I'll start with the other, which is Twilight. I had no interest in reading these books as I am not a vampire fan and then they become such a big deal that i did not want to be caught up in all that. A substitute teacher at school explained a little bit about the books to me and the different storylines and they did sound like something I would enjoy (I do like stories about the supernatural). On Black Friday I was at Walmart, getting my Christmas shopping done and they had a display of the books and it was only $7.95 so I picked it up and while waiting for the DVD's to go on sale i started reading it and was hooked so I went ahead and bought it. I have since finished it and am currently reading New moon off and on. I am still reluctant to watch the movie, though.

In the cyber world, the first trend I joined was blogging. Again, I did not think I would do this because I did not see a purpose for it(for myself). Then my friend, Kim, started one and I thought that was cool and realized that this was a way for me to talk about myself and my interests(sort of like keeping a diary) with the idea that other people might be listening or reading(even if they weren't). So I started this blog. Later I started one for my cat so I could stretch my creativeness :)

The next trend I joined was MySpace. I did this because my fellow army wife friends had them and it looked like fun. Again, a place to talk about myself and display my personality and I enjoyed it immensely. I also found old friends through it!!

Next was Facebook. I resisted this, too, as I loved mySpace and really did not want to keep up with another social network website. Well, then, my friend, Kim gets on there and starts telling about people she is finding and then a fellow blogger starts talking about the same thing so I decided to join and see what I could find. I found a lot of long lost friends. Now I go on Facebook more than Myspace.

So that is my relationship with trends. I resist then join. There is one, however, that I joined before it became such a huge thing and that is Twitter. I learned about Twitter during an inservice presentation on technology and school my first week back at work last August. I thought, what a neat concept!! I could periodically talk about what I was doing if anyone cared!! I had actually seen this on a couple of blogs, off to the side and thought it was kind of cool. So later that day I signed up!! And have been doing it ever since. And, then suddenly, it turned into this huge thing that even celebrities are doing!! I was actually pretty excited that I was ahead of a trend for once.

What trends do you, dear readers, follow? What have you been ahead of?

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Haha. I was the first to jump on the blogging train among my friends. Two of them have started doing it with me now. :)

I'm glad you're liking Twilight. I agree with you that the movies will never live up to the books, but for me it's a continuation of something I fell in love with years ago when the series was young and hype-free. Lol. I just don't want to let it go yet.

Kim said...

This was a '90s trend, but I first resisted those hick overalls and then you couldn't get me out of them if you tried!

I know, going off topic a bit...

Robyn :) said...

Kim, that was a trend which is what I asked!!

Carrie, I will probably end up watching the movie because my new friend's daughter who is moving here in July will probably get me to watch it and I will probably end up at the midnight showing of New Moon with her family!!

Jessica said...

I was actually the first to start blogging and one of the first on Myspace. I was alittle hesitant on Facebook, but I love it now. :) Other than that I'm a follower, too.