Monday, July 27, 2009

I Went, I Saw, I Tried(Updated)

I had my motorcycle class today. The morning session in the classroom was fine. They decided to have us ride this afternoon instead of tomrorow, though, because of the chance of rain tomorrow. Today it is 90 degrees, tomorrow was supposed to be only 82.

Well, I tried the riding portion. It did not work out. Even with heeled boots my feet were not laying flat. So that made me nervous. I was afraid I was going to fall all the time and kept stalling. There was too much to remember. Someone else fell and that scared me. Plus it was hot. All that combined to make me sick. I thought I would pass out. So at that point I was done.

Motorcycle driving is not for me. Being a passenger is. I love riding with TJ. I am perfectly content to do that. He was the one who wanted me to take the class. Well, I did, but it was too hard and I found I am not comfortable driving one. I would rather spend the time learning to drive a manual transmission so I can get the Mustang I want!!

UPDATE: Thought I would explain a little more. A couple of the problems I had were as follows: The bikes were slightly too big, even the smallest ones. I am only 5' I was on tippie toes. I will never be able to get a Harley, unless it is a Trike(and that is quite expensive). I could probably manage a Honda Rebel or Yamaha V-Starr. However, it takes a lot of coordination and that is something I am sorely lacking. There are 2 brakes(hand and foot) and a clutch. It was very hard for me to remember all three. I was sure at some point I would forget everything and crash. Not to mention all the gears that you have to work with your other foot. Oy. Too too much.

The instructor suggested I try the dirt bike course which is a smaller class size(6), only half a day, and on grass, first. Also, since kids can ride dirt bikes, they make them smaller. I would actually consider getting a dirt bike and then making it street legal(adding the lights and turn signals, etc). Then I could ride on the street and a track! But that is not something I want to do right now. I really don't want the payment of another bike while we are paying off TJ's. I would rather trade my car in for a Mustang after TJ's Trailblazer is paid off. I have wanted one of those for a long time and I would really like a manual, but I need to learn to drive a manual(I figure that is a good skill to have anyway).

So, anyway, I am staying a bike passenger for now.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Works for me. I'd rather learn how to drive stick shift instead of a motorcycle myself!

Carrie said...

Hey, so long as you gave it a shot he can't complain. ;)

Robyn :) said...

No, he can't. And this way we can put all our motorcycle money into his!! If I got a motorcycle then we would have to get an engine guard and maybe a windshield and possibly have to lower the seat......

GingerV said...

having a mustang is a good goal, but you should go back and try one more time, think of having your own Harley! riding side by side with TJ, gunning it so you pull ahead.... you would be our hero.... just try one more time, now that you know what to expect it may go better.... like trying sauted mushrooms no one likes them the first time....

Robyn :) said...

There was too much to remember with the motorcycle. There were 2 brakes(hand and foot), plus the clutch and I just don't have that coordination!! Not to mention the bikes are slightly too big for me. I am only 5'. they did suggest maybe trying the dirt bike class as it is smaller and on the grass!! I may consider getting a dirt bike(they make them smaler because kids can ride) and then making it street legal.