Sunday, September 13, 2009

Ode to a Table Cloth

Growing up we had a simple plastic table cloth that we used for birthdays and also at Christmas time. It was reversible. It was older than me. I thought my mom and grandma bought it in the 60's, but it may have even been the 50's!! We ended up laying it to rest after Christmas 2002. I cut it and used part of it as an album cover and back for a Christam album, which I will show at Christmastime. Today I will focus on its use as a birthday cloth during my lifetime and it's offspring.

It was used for my first birthday...

And my tenth....

(it was probably used between those times, but I did not have any other pictures of it from then) (oh, check out that cake, too -- Baskin Robbins Ice Cream cake!!)

My 14th.......

Great hair, huh? And check out my outfit.

My 16th....

and My 19th.....

Anyone want to guess why the picture is ripped(Kim, you can probably figure it out)? And that's another Baskin Robbins Ice Cream cake!!!

I believe it was used on my 21st as well, but I did not have a picture of that.

And lest you think we only used it for my birthdays, here is one from a party we had for my grandma and Aunt Lou....

It was a white cloth with pink and blue pictures and gold accents. It said "Congratulations" so it could be used for more than just birthdays.

I really missed that table cloth so earlier this year I went on Ebay and looked up"reversible birthday Christmas tablecloth". I found one. They called it an "Atomic 50's table cloth". I bid on it and won.

Now this one was slightly different. It was thinner than the original. And the designs were different. Instead of saying Congratulations it says Happy Birthday. It is the same wonderful pink and blue with gold accents, but more vibrant. I call this one the 2nd generation traditional birthday table cloth.

We broke it out for TJ's birthday this year...

And mine...


I hope to use this one for many years to come :)

2 comments:

Kim said...

Daaang! You really hated him! :)

Robyn :) said...

well, at the time. kinda regret it now