Thursday, December 3, 2009

Favorite Things at the Friday Photo Shootout

I am back with a Photo Shootout post!! That means I am home and have access to my own computer and all its archived photos, plus new ones I just uploaded.

The theme this week is My Favorite Things and it kicks off a month long Christmas theme :) Though, it is favorite things in general, not Christmas things, but you can do favorite Christmas things :) To find out more about the topic and the the photo shootout in general go HERE. This week's theme comes from the photo shootout team.

I have a special treat for you this week with mine. Although I currently live in Kansas, my true home state is California and my hometown is Whittier, CA. My post will be my favorite things about California, since I have been there the past 3 weeks.

First up is a place I went to 4 times(3 different ones)....


Their Carribean Passion(what I'm drinking in the photo) is the best fruit smoothie ever and their Chocolate Moo'd and Peanut Butter Moo'd are better than any milkshake!!

That particular Jamba Juice was at my favorite place to be anywhere -- the ocean!!!

This(and that) was Huntington Beach.

To have a little fun I love going to this place...

And my favorite thing to do here is see the stunt show featuring these awesome fellows.....


One of my favorite things about my hometown of Whittier is this Christmas tradition -- the lighted Christmas tree on the old bank building!!!



American Savings started this(to my knowledge) and when Bright Medical took over the building they continued it. Unfortunately, they have switched to LED lights and it isn't as pretty, but it just isn't Christmas without it!!!! Glad I got to see it before I left.

A favorite thing to do in Whittier is to go to Rose Hills Cemetery to drive on this hill..

What is so special about it?? Well, I will tell you.... you can roll your car in neutral backwards up it!! Freaky. It is actually going downhill, but because of the landscaping it looks like you are going uphill. Look at the picture... doesn't it look like you are looking downhill?? Well, you're not, you are looking uphill!!!!

A new favorite place in California is here...

It is near LAX and makes the best glazed donuts ever!!!

Finally, no trip to California(even for a sad occasion like a funeral)is complete without a visit to the happiest place on earth...

And it also happens to be the site of my most favorite Christmas light display ever..

Next week I will be back showing photos closer to home here in Kansas :)

19 comments:

Jama said...

Disneyland is my most favorite place in the world! been there twice and definitely will be going there again.

That drink would be perfect for our sunny day here now.

Gordon said...

Robyn, thanks for posting. Very enjoyable. The Christmas lights are terrific.

Chef E said...

Cool Robyn, I have a friend from Dallas that lived in CA for a while and that is all she talks about is when she is moving back one day, so I took a trip and saw the appeal! Jamba Juice in Dallas did rock, as I sip on a smoothie right now, Strawberry Blueberry Pomegranate! YUM, they are so good right...

NanU said...

Hey, me too I'm just back from a few weeks in my home state of southern California, where I adore the beaches - and back to the Friday Shootout. It's a small world.

Kim said...

When did u go to DLand?

Rebecca said...

Caribbean Passion sounds yum. And that Christmas display is beautiful!

GingerV said...

glad you are home safe, The christmas tree and the most famous christmas decorations are the best.... why don't you give ChefE your last photo would look great on our christmas banners....
goood job sweets.

Sarah said...

Oh oh oh I looove it ..I spent most of high school and college in Walnut near West Covina...all of these places I have been..how fun is that!! Loved all of your shots..love Jamba juice tooo yummmmmmy!! Wonderful fun shootout!! Sarah

Barry said...

You look right at home with those stunt men. We hope they were perfect gentlemen?

Considering it is hovering close to zero here at the moment, it was nice of you to post photos of California to warm us up.

We'd both love to visit there someday!

Barry & Linda

kate said...

Welcome back to Kansas (although I can bet that you'd rather be back by the ocean seeing as how it's absolutly FREEZING around here!) - beautiful shots of California :)

Doreen said...

the last shot of the light display is so cool!! great shoot out!!

Pauline said...

That struck me as a really cheerful post. Obviously your favourite things make you very happy - and that's exactly how it's meant to be I think. Thanks for sharing the joy!

Kerry said...

That downward-upward hill made me stop and stare! Pretty funny. Have a good weekend!

A Scattering said...

Hi Robyn, if you ever get to New Brunswick, Canada there's a optical illusion called Magnetic Hill that has the same mysterious effect. Have a great week!

~JarieLyn~ said...

Hi Robyn, this is a great post. I loved Knott's Berry Farm when I was a kid. I've been to all of these places except Jamba Juice. My husband's grandfather is buried in Rose Hills Cemetary.

Robyn :) said...

WOW -- thank you for all the posts!! I have had a most fantastic day and this was just the perfect thing to end it :)

Kim, I went to Disneyland on Monday. We needed a break from everything.

Ginger, I will try to remember to give ChefE the picture. Thank you :)

Barry and Linda, the stuntmen were perfectly delightful. That is the 3rd visit that I have taken a picture with them-- it is a tradition now :)

A Scattering -- I would love to visit that hill. I know they are everywhere and enjoy trying to find them :)

Thank you again, everyone for the comments :)

Robyn :) said...

Just noticed that Chef E already took one of mine :) It's of me and my husband, but it is not one I took -- hope that's okay :) Well, I took the photo, but someone else did the tag with it in it.

REDLAN said...

Welcome back. I am enjoying your photos. Was that a bird at the H beach? I like the last photo most. I am looking forward to see your photos next week.

Scriptor Senex said...

Love the hill. There's one in Scotland called the Electric Brae. It's a real traffic hazard as folk roll their cars and forget to llok out for traffic!