Thursday, January 14, 2010

Birds at the Friday Photo Shootout

This week's topic salutes our fine feathered friends. Chosen by Scriptor Senex from the UK, this subject is near and dear to this fellow's heart

He regularly watches birds from either my bedroom window or the front window. Unfortunately, he does not know how to work a camera(no thumbs makes it hard) and I am not really a bird person so I hardly ever take pictures of them. I also did not get out this week to hunt them down to take pictures so I have put together a little hodgepodge of pictures I had, from various places.

First we will start with the ocean bird (pelican?) at Huntington Beach in California during my unexpected trip. He was willing to pose on the rail for me


You may recognize one of those pictures from last week's fence topic.
I have also included this one with me in it as my name is Robyn and a robin is a bird


We have a small zoo in Manhattan, Kansas, but it has lots of really cute animals and some birds. Our 4th grade went on a field trip here 2 years ago and I got pictures of this beautiful peacock



beautiful flamingos

and a beautiful swan(that's a bird, right? Or at least a fowl. A bird is a fowl)

That may actually be a goose.

Side note: 2 years ago today I started working at the school :)

Okay, back to the photos. I used to have some pink flamingos in my yard

I made some turkey kolacky cookies for Thanksgiving one year

Okay, getting off topic again. I will wrap up this post(and actually keep with the theme of posting pictures from MY Town) with pictures of my adopted hometown's most famous and favorite bird-- the Junction City High School Blue Jay!!!!



For more information and other participants' websites visit the Friday PhotoShoot blog.

21 comments:

GingerV said...

the pelican shots are good, your humor comes through in the telling. the blue jay mascot is my favorite. nothing better than junior and senhor high sports. miss them.

A Scattering said...

Love the mascot, what fun!

Chef E said...

Love it, love them all, well the cookies are making me hungry, and that peacock is fantastic! Robyn you are a wonderful bird my dear!

Simply Heather said...

You cat is not looking very amused, Robyn :) Great and fun shots, you've shared with us.

Robyn :) said...

He gets tired of having his picture taken, sometimes, Heather :) i think in that one he was trying to watch TV with me and I interrupted him LOL

Kerry said...

Yeah I'm pretty sure that one is a goose. I get get the cookie image out of my mind! Must be time for a snack!

~JarieLyn~ said...

I like the pelican shot with you in the photo. The bird is looking right at you. I also like the fun you captured with the blue jay photo.

Jama said...

That peacock is so awesome, they just love to show off their pretty feathers, but they are fierce I tell you! Once I got pecked on the arm which cause some bleeding because I came too close.

Pauline said...

Love your peacock shots. I couldn't get close to mine although I've been stopping every day trying to get them used to the sound of my car. It hasn't worked. Lucky you to find such a co-operative bluejay!

J9 said...

Love your take on the theme - I wish I'd thought to include the HS mascot!

Barry said...

Your robin (Robyn) is the most beautiful and the peacock's were fantastic.

Rebecca said...

You have quite the varied collection. The cookies are really cute. I love the peacock feathers too. Including a mascot was a creative idea...hadn't thought of that one.

Kim said...

Scout does not look amused. :)

NanU said...

I really like your take on the faux-birds to include!

Sarah said...

Oh oh oh how fun was this!! Wonderful ones..giggle!! Great shootout..Sarah

Patience-please said...

I do have a strange fascination for pelicans! What a fun, funny post. Thanks for the smile with my morning coffee - feels good!

shabby girl said...

Cute post, Robyn. I love pelicans! I love all birds, even on the table! Ha!

Sara Williams said...

Brilliant photos! I like the peacocks and the picture of the pelican made me remember my holiday to Florida in 1991/2

SOL said...

Love the peacock shots!

Scriptor Senex said...

Love the cookies - that's original!! Thanks for taking part.

Jen said...

the bird cookies are the best! I can't believe you were able to get so close to that water bird!