Tuesday, May 4, 2010

More Deployment Thoughts

I feel overwhelmed when I think of TJ leaving and not being here everyday and it feels like I will not be able to bear it, but then I remember the last time and how after a few days you fall into a routine and get used it. I also think that this is why a pity party will be beneficial because I can take that time to feel overwhelmingly sad, then pick myself up and get into a routine that is the new normal.

I told TJ tonight that before we go on block leave in August to see his family we have to talk about what will happen if he does not come back. I know that no one likes to even think about those things, let alone talk about it, but it is better to prepare ahead of time. Obviously, he will need a will (everyone should have one, I have one), but I am also talking about things like where he would be buried, the service, stuff like that. I have already told him that I would stay here because this is where my life is. So that would beg the question of do we bury him here or back in Florida and we need to make his family aware of our intentions so there are no surprises or arguing if the time comes.

On the other side of that coin, he also needs to be made aware of my wishes should I pass on. Morbid, I know, but it is stuff that needs to be addressed.

Deployment still seems like a long way off to me, but it is on my mind. I like to be prepared as much as possible. Mentally and physically.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I don't know what I'll do when it comes time to think about these things. I guess I'll clench my teeth and dive in, but until then, I admire your courage and persistence. I hope everything goes well you guys, and that this is as smooth and fast as possible.

GingerV said...

Hi, I have been following your deployment posts and understand all of these thoughts you are having. Camillo is 84 in June, healthy and mentally sound but 84 - my mother is 87 will be 88 in July and in the process of loosing her memory and (Ithink) her will to live. do you see that there are only 4 years difference in their ages.... I am also facing (eminately) a deployment - with no hope of return. yes these thoughts are terrifying. I have always delt with this type of terror with plans.... is there something you would like to learn, photography, computer programming, cooking, getting a teaching degree... pick a topic and set up to study while he is off base.... be ready with a real change in you for when he returns.... the focus on another topic will keep the demons at a distance.

Robyn :) said...

Well, Ginger, I want to do some furniture painting, but I am going to do that this summer because I can't wait!! LOL.

My job should keep me pretty busy. I may take some classes, too. I am also planning a trip with a friend. I think I may also work really hard at reaching my goal of catching up on my scrapbooks!!