Sunday, August 1, 2010

Tough Decision

We have been talking about getting me a new car for awhile now, but after some experiences with the Trailblazer I have decided that it needs to be replaced first and with a truck. I like having the bigger car and would like a truck so if I buy furniture or something I don't need to rely on others to get it home!! Plus my husband really wants one. We could also take the motorcycle to far away places on it.

The problem I am facing is which other car to trade in with it. The plan had been that when we got my mom's car back here(which will be this week) and it cleared probate we would use it as the second trade in (we were also going to wait until the Blazer was paid off so we would only have one car payment). When we changed our mind to trade in the Blazer we still planned on trading in my mom's car.

Then I got to thinking. The Buick(my mom's car) is bigger than my Saturn. It would be easier to take passengers in it and more comfortable. It is the same age as my Saturn(my mom and I got new cars the same year), but has much lower mileage. My mom never drove far. In fact, if I remember correctly, it is now over 1000 miles only because I drove it so much on my last visit. Also, we could get the truck sooner trading the Saturn in as we wouldn't have to wait on the Buick to clear probate.

Sounds great and an easy decision, right? Wrong. First of all, I don't think the Buick has a CD player. But that's just a minor inconvenience(that could be easily remedied). The bigger problems are, one, I really don't like Buicks and did not think I would EVER own one and two, I really love my Saturn. To get rid of it before finding another car I really love is hard. That car moved me across the country from California to Florida and then up here to Kansas.

I am pretty sure we are going to go ahead and trade her in, though. One thing I have been trying to tell myself as a consolation for keeping the Buick is is that it will be like having a part of my mom with me for a few more years(or however long it takes to pay off the new truck as we only want one car payment at a time!!).

I have some time to think about it.

2 comments:

GingerV said...

these decisions are usually better made with logic / math / clear thinking - emotions over a car can get you into problems.

Miles on the car weights in stronger than loving the car - see what I mean?

haven't they stopped making Saturns, which means soon replacement parts and repairs will be very expensive.

just two cents worth given for free.

Robyn :) said...

Haven't they stopped making Buicks too? Or is that just wishful thinking? LOL