Saturday, February 12, 2011

Recipe Binder Challenge

This week's challenge on A Bowl Full of Lemons was to make a Recipe Binder.

Guess what?? I already have one!!! Which I will show you, along with the other ways I organize recipes, but first, if you do not have one and would like to make one and want a really awesome cover and side go HERE and you can get a really cute one!!

Okay, back to the challenge. At work/school a company called Books Are Fun comes in periodically and displays some stuff for sale in our lounge. Not just books, all kinds of stuff. At an awesome discount. One time they had this recipe binder for sale and I got it.

Now, before this I used a recipe box, but the problem with that was sometimes my recipes were on full size pieces of paper or half a piece of paper or what have you and did not fit in the box without folding. I did not like that. So this binder really came in handy!!

It includes a recipe in each section, like this...

It has pages for writing down recipes like this...


(with little quotes at the bottom)
Small pockets for recipe cards

Page protectors

and pockets(I write down what is in the pocket)

The categories in the binder are as follows...
Appetizers, Beverages, Breakfasts, Pasta and Rice, Salads, Soups, Poultry, Meats, Seafood, Vegetables, Desserts, Holidays and Hints.
I put stuff like dips and sauces under the Appetizer category and potatoes under Vegetables.

I got rid of my box, but when my mom passed away and I was going through the house I found our old recipe box which I thought was really cute, so I kept it.

I went through and kept only the recipes I liked. I added cute little stickers to the dividers

I use this for my recipes on recipe cards that fit in it!! The categories are..
Beverages, Biscuits and Bread, Cakes, Cake Fillings, Cookies, Frozen Desserts, Jellies, Meats, Pastry-Pies, Pickles-Relish, Preserves, Puddings, Salads, Salad Dressings, Sandwiches, Sauces, Soups, Vegetables.
These are what were in the box. Some are rather odd!! LOL

The final place I keep recipes is on my computer. Since it is small, I can take it anywhere, including the kitchen. So recipes I find online go in my online files!! Under Favorites I have a folder that says Food and then subfolders and sub sub folders. It breaks down like this..
FOOD
--Recipes
--Appetizers and Dips
--Breakfast
--Dressings and sauces
--Drinks
--Main Dishes
-- Chicken
-- Fish
-- Pasta
-- Vegetarian
--Salad
--Sides
--Soup
--Sweets

(My FOOD folder also has subfolders for ordering pizza, food preservation, and natural healing)

I also have a few cookbooks and am starting to use post-it arrows to mark tried and true recipes :)

I am linking to

No comments: