Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Garden Surprise

Earlier this year I was thinking about the violets that grew along the side of my childhhood home. They were along the cement side leading to the backyard. Even if we cut the suckers they would always come back. And plentifully. They were really pretty.

My grandmother's name was Violet and because of that she loved violets as well. So they always reminded me of her.

Since they seemed so low maintenance I decided I would plant some this year, after being assured they can grow here in Kansas. I was getting a little worried though as the 2 places I looked for them -- Ace and Menards -- did not have them. I was wondering if I would have to order them online.

Wanting flowers NOW, though, I went ahead and bought some Pansies as I was told they could withstand anymore harsh weather we may have. Last weekend I planted them.

Yesterday evening I noticed that the pansies needed watering. As I was turning on my hose some green leaves in the flower bed caught my eyes. As I have planted stuff in the past I thought it was something coming back from last year. Then I noticed it had a flower. A VERY familiar looking flower. I looked closer to examine and was astonished to find it was a violet! Just like we used to have in California!!!
I soon began to notice some other patches of these.

I have no idea how they got there. I am pretty sure I did not plant them last year (if I did they did not bloom then). They seem to have just mysteriously appeared. Kinda freaky considering how much I wanted them this year.

Have you ever found something unexpected in your garden?

2 comments:

That corgi :) said...

What a great surprise with the violets!! I hope we get to see a picture of them!! LOL about finding unexpected things in our garden; we've lived in so many different houses over the years, everything that grows is always a surprise to us :)

betty

Robyn :) said...

As soon as my camera gets fixed or we find the stuff to charge TJ's I will be taking pictures