Monday, April 11, 2011

Monday Cooking -- Chicken Fried Steak, Potatoes and Salad Dressing

I think TJ's camera is dead. We can't charge it. So no pictures. BUT, all my recipes from this week were from The Pioneer Woman Cooks and the recipes are on her website so I have links!! I will tell you when I made changes :)

Chicken Fried Steak.
I halved the recipe. I also used Spelt Flour and rice milk. I had a bit of an issue with the gravy (the curse of the Schmidt women!), but I fixed it.

Fried Cube Steak
I cooked it in the pan I made the gravy in so it may have received some of that flavor :)

Twice Paked Potatoes
I only used 2 potatoes so I 1/4ed everything! I did not have fresh herbs so I used dry. I also used rice milk. and for the second baking I put them in a pyrex(or cornongware?) dish instead of the skins. Oh, and I used parmesan cheese instead of cheddar.

Homemade Ranch Dressing.
I went a little crazy with this one. I did not have buttermilk and rice milk is thin. I wanted a thicker dressing. So I used 1/4 rice milk and 1/4 coconut milk. It worked!! I also used a mixture of light(I ran out) and regular mayonnaise. She suggests not using Miracle Whip so I didn't use my Veganaisse(it tastes like MW).

I also made a batch of Rice Krispy Treats :)

Later this week I may make pasta :)

1 comment:

That corgi :) said...

I think it is neat how you figure out how to substitute what you don't have with what you have with the recipes; it does sound like a good meal! If I remember correctly from my mom's cooking (which she did very well, but I never got the hang of, LOL) she did say making dressing took lots of patience and time to get it just right (maybe that's why I never got the hang of it :)

yum too on the Rice Krispie treats!

betty