Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Singing For A Cause

Nothing beats an original



25 years later this song still amazes me. The sheer magnitude of talent, from different genres of music, is unparalleled. I mean you have Michael Jackson, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen (among others) all together. And no one is trying to make the song their own. They are not singing in their own styles, they are all singing in a cohesive manner so that the song just flows.

You don't get that with the Haiti version. It sounds choppy. For example, Tony Bennett sings in his style, as does Josh Groban, then you have Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus singing their way and then Michael Jackson from the original. It doesn't flow. They should have just made a new song.

Like this

Not only do you have the most popular singers of the day, there were sports stars, actors, actresses, comediens and talk show hosts in there(I think I even spotted Jerry Springer). There are ALOT of people in this. Even a couple who sang We Are The World :)

This song was made during the Gulf War to let the people fighting know that they were supported and appreciated. I remember there was a lot of opposition to us going over there and these people wanted to show their support. It wasn't like now, in a post 9/11 world, when support from civilians is very strong and you have performers like Gary Sinise going to military bases to perform for soldiers and their families(or Marines, Sailors, Air Force, etc). A lot of celebrities were speaking out against the Gulf War and these performers came together to share their support, whether they agreed with the war or not.

Another great thing anout USA for Africa was that they raised awareness for the famine in Africa. That was their purpose. With Haiti pretty much everyone was aware of the problem and giving in different ways and a song did not really have to be made. I understand that they wanted to pay tribute to the 25th anniversary of USA for Africa and make money for Haiti, but I think it failed big time. Again, I believe they could have done better with just making a new original song.

We are the World was the very first record I ever bought on my own with my own money :)

What do you think of the orginal and new version? Do you remember when the original came out?

1 comment:

That corgi :) said...

I definitely prefer the original but I do appreciate the efforts to redo the song years later. I was in my mid 20s when the first one came out and there was such an excitement about it, played on M-TV, etc. It is good when people come together for causes like this in Africa, Haiti and always good to support the troops!

betty