Sunday, May 1, 2011

Victory: 10 Years Later

In case you haven't heard the news....Osama Bin Laden is dead. Killed by the US military. US Navy Seals apparently.

I first heard the news when a friend posted it on Facebook. I was watching BRAVO TV and of course they did not break in. After seeing the post I switched over to CNN to confirm for myself.

My reaction was to cry. Not because I was sad. It took me awhile to process and understand just what I was crying for and what his death meant.

I have heard people say that it is sad the way people are celebrating a DEATH. This bothers me because I don't think they really get it. Sure, it seems surreal to me, too, that we are all excited that someone died, but you have to understand what that death stands for.

It is a victory in the War on Terrorism. This was a man who orchestrated a very elaborate and devastating attack on our country. A man who openly encouraged people to hate us and harm us. MANY people died because of him. Innocent people on 9/11, innocent people in his own country, servicemen and women who fight to protect the US from more attacks like those on 9/11. In war we celebrate victories and this is a very big Victory,

Obviously this does not eliminate the threat entirely. In fact, right now we are more on our guard than ever fearing some kind of retaliation. But overall, we have eliminated one of the most powerful and influential people on the side of terrorism and that is definitely something to celebrate.

10 years ago I can remember awaiting word that one of the intense searches of Afghani caves would yield the capture of Osama Bin Laden, thinking about how everyone would celebrate and be happy. 10 years later we finally have that.

His death represents justice for 9/11, justice for all those killed in the war on terrorism, and those who are still fighting.

Justice is the reason we are celebrating.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Right. My friend's daughter, who is 14, mind you, put something up on FB about how we need to be Christians and act like the bigger people, yadayada. I had to give the girl a history lesson and tell her that when she was 5, that this attack was on major infrastructures in this country and how God did not want us to sit back. So, there are many who say how sad to celebrate a death.

That corgi :) said...

I totally agree with what you said, I am saddened not in his death because I do believe he was evil and chose to live with evil and hate, I am saddened that there are people who choose to live like that and because they live like that, they cause grief and pain to others. But it is a good day for justice indeed!

betty