Friday, June 24, 2011

Pending Probate

So, I have been putting off some stuff I needed to do pertaining to probate, basically because I had other (stressful) stuff going on and didn't want to deal with it, This week, though, I made up my mind to start being proactive in bringing this thing to a close. I still have a little ways to go.

I am in the process of trying to sell the house. My realtor out there knows how to do this during a pending probate. I had to fill out some paperwork to start the selling process. There will be more to come once we open escrow. I have a potential buyer, BUT if that falls through I will need to list. Can't really give any other details at the moment.

I finally opened a bank account as the administrator of the estate. Very easy, didn't take long at all. Needed to do this for any money coming in(like sale of house) or going out (like outstanding bills). The lady at the bank, Karen, whom I have worked with before, was awesome. I think she is from South Africa (she said her mom lives there) and has a beautiful accent(it sounds British-y). She is extremely helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. I was glad she was available today.

I also made copies of some documentation the lawyer needs. Something I had to search for(it was easy to find), which is why I put that off.

I also needed to run a credit check for them. Next I will be emailing them all this info and asking what else they need. I am hoping we can get this wrapped up by the end of the year(great Christmas gift!!) or if I am extremely lucky, my birthday(best birthday present ever!! Sort of)

As fun as all this must sound, it would be so much easier if my mom had had a will or even better, a living trust. I encourage all of my readers, no matter where you live, to have one of these and to talk to your loved ones about doing the same. Share my probate posts if you think it will help :)

4 comments:

That corgi :) said...

I'm sorry about your mom's passing; I know you must still miss her. Excellent advice about getting a living will or trust. We need to do that soon (I keep reminding husband to do so). Thankfully right now we don't have much but still would be a mess if both of us died together for son to take care of. Hubby's parents thankfully did set up a living will/trust but I'm sure when we get to that road with them, there will be lots of things we'll find out need to be taken care of. Thankfully I'm not that involved since I'm not "family" and his brother is the executor of it all.

Glad you got a helpful person as you are working on this!

good luck with it all!

betty

Kim said...

Really? A credit check on you?

Robyn :) said...

Credit check on my mom, not me LOL

Kim said...

Wow. Really? Probably in case she had debts that needed to be paid. Still though, wow.