Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Bananas Foster Gone Wrong

I attempted to make Bananas Foster for dessert tonight.

I think I had a bit of a mishap.

I did not do the open flame thing. For 2 reasons. One, open flames scare me and two, I have an electric stove. There was no flame to ignite the alcohol(although I could have used a long lighter, I guess).

Yes, this recipe had alcohol. Yes, I am Mormon and not supposed to have alcohol. But it is okay if you are using it to cook and you cook the alcohol out.

I don't think the alcohol cooked out of it, though.

TJ and I both ate it over ice cream. It made me feel a bit light headed. TJ said he felt fine.

Which begs 2 questions...one, was it just in my mind and two, how long does it take to cook with alcohol so it is not alcohol anymore? I cooked this for several minutes believing it would be fine, but now I am not so sure. It seems like all I did was heat the alcohol!

I suppose this could be made without the rum. Or with rum flavoring. Because I certainly do not want to be partaking of alcohol!!

Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Kim said...

MMMMMMMMMM.......Rum and ice cream sounds yummy!

That corgi :) said...

That looked like a delicious recipe! Good question about the alcohol. I'm not sure how long it takes to cook it out. I know we have a recipe for a rum cake that you mix rum with sugar to make the glaze for (you cook it first). I know it definitely still tastes like rum afterwards when put on top of the cake, yet I never worried about my son (before he was 21) eating it and then driving. Or I was fooling myself, LOL. Might have to do some investigating about this......

betty

Robyn :) said...

I am thinking that if I made it the "correct" way, where you burn the alcohol it would have been ok.