Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remember

To answer the question of an Alan Jackson song.."Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September Morn?"

I was "driving down a cold interstate".

Well, actually, it was the 57 Freeway in Orange County, California. I was listening to Jamie and Danny on the radio on Star 98.7

Where were you?

When they said a plane crashed into one of the towers I got an uneasy feeling that it was not an accident because they had had a bombing there before. Then they said that there was another explosion. They thought it was because of the burning jet fuel from the first plane. However, Jamie then said, "where di that plane go?". There had been another plane flying by and it went behind the first tower and did not emerge on the other side. At that point I knew.

I worked for a company that paid medical claims at the time. We worked across the street from St. Joseph's Hospital in Orange. On my breaks and lunch hour I went to the ER to watch the TV. When I first saw the footage I was stunned at what a beautiful day it was in New York. It was gray in California that morning so I imagined the same for NYC. Instead the sun was shining and the sky was blue. It made it seem even more unreal.

I chose to stay at work that day. When I did get home I watched all the footage. At the time we did not have Cable and ALL the channels, even the UHF ones, were showing it. I found some really obscure channel showing Bonanza.

I was the bearer of this tragic news to one person..my best friend, Bonnie. She was asleep when I called her. I told her she might want to turn on the TV and see what was happening.

My previous 9/11 post9which is actually a 9/10 post) is HERE.

1 comment:

That corgi :) said...

Orange was just up the area from where we used to live in Murrieta!

such a tragic day for all; we were living in Montana at the time; it seemed surreal but you knew it was the truth

betty