Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Scout Sets It Straight

Some dear cat blogging friends recently expressed dismay and concern that I was actually encouraging my mommy to sleep so much and not keep her up to attend to my needs and whims. I wanted to explain myself a little bit.

I only encourage such sleeping during the day. This is the focus of her cat training right now. And I always sleep at the same time. I have been able coordinate our naps together very nicely. I have also been trying to gradually introduce getting up in the middle of the night, like say 4am. Sometimes earlier. Especially if she forgot to stock my food bowl or refill the sink with water (I do have her trained very well in that aspect. She finally gave up on a water bowl and just keeps the bathroom sink filled). My methods are simple. She keeps a lot of stuff on her nightstand so I just get up there and mess with it and make all kinds of noise and it wakes her up. She is a light sleeper. Most of the time she gets mad and yells at me. If the food needs to be refilled I paw her face to make sure she knows that is of the utmost priority. She is good about responding to this, but not the nightstand racket. Like last night I wanted to go outside and just have her hang out with me, but she insisted on going back to sleep!!! This is going to take a lot of training and patience, I fear.

I do have her trained to sit and provide her legs for prime napping in the evenings

Do you have any suggestions for how I can further train my mommy to be a great cat?

2 comments:

Fuzzy Tales said...

*Whew*! Scout, we really were worried you actually were letting your human sleep and accommodating her needs, when of course you're actually making sure it's the other way around.

You could always try playing THoE (Thundering Herd of Elephants), starting at 3AM. Nicki does that to ensure our mom is up by 4AM every day.

Or you can "kill" a toy mouse and bring it up to your human's room, sing your battle cry at the top of your lungs. (Another Nicki ploy.)

Or barf up a hairball on the bed or bedroom floor.

Getting up RIGHT into her face and SCREAMING at her also would work.

Just a few of our tips!

-Nicki and Derry

Robyn :) said...

Ooooohhhhh,, good ideas guys!! I play THOE, too, usually right after she goes to bed LOL.

I do not have any toy mice, but I do have an awesome catnip lobster -- I can use that!