Sunday, October 9, 2011

Spiritual Sunday -- Back To Church

I am going to try to do a post every Sunday on lessons from church that day or experiences, etc. This one is going to be quite long as I have a lot to talk about!

Anyway, I titled it Back To Church because I feel like I have not been in a long time, but I think it was only like 2 weeks. Last weekend was General Conference, which is when our church leaders speak to us from Salt Lake City. It is broadcast to all ward buildings, but it is also on internet and BYUTV. Now that we have Cox Cable digital and it included BYUTV I was able to watch it from home. Also, I have only been going to Sacrament Meeting because TJ's back starts hurting to bad to stay, but today I asked him to come back and get me, plus we had a meeting.

I am glad I stayed. I really enjoyed the lesson in Relief Society, which was on Pride. I mostly enjoyed it because Sister Shurtleff, who is the bishop's wife, taught it. I always enjoy when she teaches. The spirit is very strong with her.

We had a ward missionary meeting after church. TJ and I are Ward Missionaries. I am wanting to do better and really magnify my calling so this is another reason staying through all the meetings is important to me. In a couple weeks we will have the opportunity to teach a couple of new member lessons to a family. I am looking forward to this as I am hoping it will help me strengthen my testimony. Our Mission Leader also said that he was going to start asking us to take turns teaching the Gospel Principles class, even though he loves teaching it. I have always thought it would be awesome to teach that class so I told him I was interested. My first lesson will be the first weekend in November and it is on Charity :)

There is one other thing I want to talk about today. Last weekend during General Conference one of the talks was about standing for truth and how to properly identify ourselves as members of the church. We are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, commonly referred to as Mormons because we follow the Book of Mormon, which is another testament of Jesus Christ. It is okay that we are called Mormons, but it is important to note that it is not the Mormon Church, but the Church of Jesus Christ. I have heard this many times before, but I have just began to realize how important it is to hear this message again, at this time.

Last night I watched Saturday Night Live and the first skit was about Mitt Romney. He was at a press conference and the reporters were upset that Governor Christie had dropped out of the race for presidency and wanted Mitt to try to get him back, rather than support Mitt. What I gathered from this skit was that Christie had been a very strong forerunner for the Republican nomination, but now that he has dropped out Romney is the forerunner. For the first time it hit me that it is very likely that Mitt Romney could receive the nomination to run for President from the Republican party. He could even become the President. Because he is a Mormon there is no doubt going to be a lot of questions about the church as well as a lot of misconceptions and false information. As members of the church it is more important than ever that we have strong testimonies and faith in Christ. I, personally, want to be able to be firm in my faith and be able to answer whatever questions come my way. Attending church regularly, studying my scriptures, and praying often will help with this. I am also hoping that by committing to this series of posts on my blog will help to hold me accountable.

If any of my readers have any questions I would be happy to try and answer them for you. If I do not have the answers I will find them for you. If there is anyhting specific you would like me to address or talk about in a future post, let me know.

If you would like your very own copy of the Book of Mormon for FREE I can get that to you. If you would like to talk to some very fine young men or women, known as missionaries, to learn more about our faith and church I can make that happen, too. If you would like to attend one of our services I can find the closest ward building and times for you. You can also got to www.mormon.org and www.lds.org for any information.

I also like to learn about other churches and religions and beliefs so if you would like to share that would be awesome.

No comments: