Saturday, October 22, 2011

Throwing my Hat in the Air

Twice in my life I have picked up and moved and started a new life. The first time was back in 2003 when I decided to move to Florida from California. I was 27 years old. I had been born and raised in California. I wanted a change, though. I felt stuck. I had an okay job and close friends. I loved my mom and living with her. However, I absolutely HATED our neighborhood and certain people who lived in it. It made me miserable. I truly felt that if I continued to live their I would die, either by my own hand(probably not, though, as I would NEVER put my mom or friends through that), from a heart attack or something stress related, or by one of the neighbors (I still seriously believe certain ones of them would be capable of this). I also could not stand the earthquakes. Anyway, in Summer 2002 I visited my aunt and uncle in Florida and liked the area and decided I wanted to move there. So in April 2003 I did.

One day I heard this song on the radio and I bought the CD and listened to it for inspiration for my move........

THE RIVER by Garth Brooks
You know a dream is like a river
Ever changin' as it flows
And a dreamer's just a vessel
That must follow where it goes
Trying to learn from what's behind you
And never knowing what's in store
Makes each day a constant battle
Just to stay between the shores
And I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Like a bird upon the wind
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Too many times we stand aside
And let the waters slip away
'Til what we put off 'til tomorrow
It has now become today
So don't you sit upon the shoreline
And say you're satisfied
Choose to chance the rapids
And dare to dance that tide
And I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Like a bird upon the wind
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
There's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll tke soome falls
With the good Lord as my captain
I can make it through them all
And I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Like a bird upon the wind
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Lord, I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry


You can listen to it HERE. I could not find Garth Brooks singing it on You Tube, but this version by Scotty McCreery on American Idol is decent.

It perfectly described the feeings I had about moving. The lines "So don't you sit upon the shoreline/And say you're satisfied/Choose to chance the rapids/And dare to dance that tide" were particularly poignant to me (they are not in the McCreery version).

Lately I have started watching reruns of The Mary Tyler Moore Show. I remember watching it when I was a kid and they would rerun it on Saturdays at 6pm. I never knew what the background on the character was, only that she worked at a news station and the show was funny. I have since learned that Mary Richards left her small town after a relationship gone bad and moved by herself to Minneapolis to live and work at a news station. Now, I did not move because of a relationship gone bad, but in effect I pretty much did what she did and can complely identify with her when I watch this show. I also never paid much attention to the theme song other than I liked the tune and when she tosses her hat in the air. However, I think it perfectly describes my life, not only when I picked up and moved to Florida, but also when I moved out here to Kansas to start a new life with TJ. Maybe even more so as I knew absolutely NO ONE here and ended up with the best job ever. I also made many new friends, some who have become like family to me. These are the lyrics...

("Love is All Around" by Paul Williams)
Mary Tyler Moore Show Lyrics


Who can turn the world on with her smile?
Who can take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?
Well it's you girl, and you should know it
With each glance and every little movement you show it

Love is all around, no need to waste it
You can have a town, why don't you take it
You're gonna make it after all
You're gonna make it after all


How will you make it on your own?
This world is awfully big, girl this time you're all alone
But it's time you started living
It's time you let someone else do some giving

Love is all around, no need to waste it
You can have a town, why don't you take it
You're gonna make it after all
You're gonna make it after all


And if you want to hear and see it here is Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, and Seasons 5,6,7

I have decided that this is my personal theme song :) I have made it (twice!) and I definitely think that everyday I throw my proverbial hat in the air to celebrate this fact.


(picture from internet)

2 comments:

Kim said...

I drove by the old homestead today. It looks great.

That corgi :) said...

It is good that both of the moves worked out good for you and that you did take those chances!

betty