Thursday, November 17, 2011

Why Would They Make That???

I am not sure how many of you know this, but I have a huge aversion to balloons. Yes, ballons. Mylar ones are fine, but regular old latex ones freak me out. It is not the ballons themselves, but the potential for them to pop. I HATE popping ballons. I get anxiety if I am around people playing or messing with them. if they are just decoration it is fine, but as soon as you get that potential for the ballon, even just one, to pop, I turn into a basket case!!

I know this is partly due to the anxiety issues I have. I worry about what could be. I do not like to be startled or unpleasntly surprised. I think this is why earthquakes are so traumatizing for me, too.

However, I have also always believed that a toy from my childhood was also responsible for the this aversion. I have vague memories of having a game or something that involved a machine blowing up a ballon and popping it. When I told people about this they would look at me funny and maybe say they had never heard of such a thing. My mom could not recall this. I began to wonder if maybe I was crazy.

Turns out I am not


There really was a ballon popping game and this was it!! Now, it may not have actually belonged to me. There was a girl my family babysat and it could have been hers. I was only 2 at the time. I know this because I do remember playing it in our apartment(we moved when I was 3). BUT the fact of the matter is that this is something that actually existed and very well could be the cause of my balloon issues!

I feel very vindicated.

But it also begs the question.....why the heck would they make a game like that????? First of all, it looks awfully dangerous. Second, don't they know that it has the potential to scar little kids for life???

Have I ever told you of my lifelong fear of fires? Two words: Happy Days

1 comment:

That corgi :) said...

Interesting too with that game because so many these days are allergic to latex. But I do remember this game; never had it but do remember seeing it advertised. I agree with you; it doesn't sound like the best game to have if it caused anxiety or fears like this!

I don't think you ever shared about the fear of fires.

betty