Sunday, January 22, 2012

Being "Selfish"

We are not even done with January and my One Little Word, Love, continues to have a huge impact on me. I truly believe that the word chose me, not the other way around lol.

Opportunites to show love for people show up when you least expect it. Sometimes it is little things and sometimes it is bigger. Sometimes it does not feel like much to you, but to others it is.

And sometimes you choose "selfishness" and it turns out to be one of the best decisions you ever made.

Last week TJ and I were asked to do something. From the beginning I was adamant about not doing it. I was fine with TJ doing it, but I myself was not going to. I made it clear that he was on his own. I would not even help a little. I felt a little guilty and normally I would let this get to me and go ahead and help, but something kept telling me not to. That it was okay to be selfish. Other people agreed with me.

It turned out that it was a good thing I did not agree to help because I ended up being needed elsewhere. In a situation where there was no question of whether I wanted to help or not. I just did. Not only that, the first situation was not even serious. It was not what we were led to believe. If I had a greed to do that I would have not been able to help someone else who really needed it. At least not at first. I am so glad that I decided to be "selfish".

The lesson here is to always go with your gut. And ask questions. My husband would have helped out regardless, but I would not have questioned my decision.

Thoughts?

No comments: