Thursday, March 15, 2012

I Know What is Wrong With Me LOL

I had my doctor's appointment today. He put me on Lipitor for 3 months. Half a pill for the first month and then whole ones for 2. Then I get tested again. He also said that I need to lose weight and start exercising.

He said that the high cholesterol DOES affect your energy and that regular exercise will help. I told him that I was too tired to exercise lol. He assured me that once I start it will get easier. He suggested starting with 10 minutes 3 days a week for the first week, then 15 for the next, then 20, etc. I am going to do walking, probably around the complex this coming week or maybe on the Riverwalk. After Spring Break I told Miss K we are going to start going to the park afterschool everyday so she can play and I can walk the track.

I need to research what kinds of food to eat and what to avoid, though I have a working idea. I also heard on the radio today, ironically, that eating an apple a day helps control cholesterol. I am going to try that, but will probably get sick of apples!! LOL.

This evening we went to the Chinese Buffet and I used a "trick" I learned from Bethany Frankel. I loaded up on veggies first. I had a small salad with shredded carrots, some raw broccoli, corn on the cob and green beans, Then I got a scoop of rice and had very little meat. For dessert I had a fortune cookie, a sesame ball, oranges and a piece of melon and pineapple. It was all filling, especially the veggies. This weekend I am getting a box fo fresh produce for $15 so I will see what I can make with what comes.

I took a Lipitor already today and it seems fine. You can't have grapefruit or GF juice while taking it. Just like with anxiety medication. What is with that???

Someone suggested I might also have depression. When they asked me the routine questions and one of them was "feelings of depression" I said yes, lately. So they asked the follow up questions and most of my answers were not at all(trouble concentrating, wanting to hurt yourself or others, etc) or sometimes(lack of motivation, decreased interest), except for the one about low or no energy to which I said ALL the time LOL.

I also felt a lot better today so I think my period also affects how I feel in that area. I should probably give up caffeine, too.

I am going to see how the next 3 months go before having any more tests.

I should get plenty of exercise tomorrow at Exploration Place in Wichita. I am going with the 2nd graders :)

2 comments:

Orange Pulps ♥ said...

going on for a healthy lifestyle, ei. :)

go for it ms. robin. ^_^

That corgi :) said...

I think the appointment went pretty well; sounds like you got some answers on how to help maybe help you to feel better in a few months. I do agree with him that the more you exercise, the more you won't feel so tired, etc; just keep plugging away with it; start slow like he suggested and keep going. One of the doctors I used to type for gave great advice on how to eat to lose weight. Divide your dinner plate in fourths; fill it up with 1/2 veggies, 1/4 starch, 1/4 meat. I think that sounds doable :)

you'll do great!

I know there is something with the interaction of grapefruit/juice with some meds but I can't remember what the connection is right now.

I also heard red rice yeast is a good supplement to help bring cholesterol down.

Good luck on the field trip tomorrow!

betty