Friday, May 4, 2012

Hell is Not Freezing Over

People that know me well most likely know that one of my most awesome talents, aside from being able to quickly identify Brady Bunch episodes, is that I have been blessed with the gift of being able to read maps and follow and give directions. If I have been somewhere once I can mostly find my way back again with minimal assistance. If I have lived somewhere long enough I can petty much see the place in my mind as if I was looking at a live map. I have a photographic memory when it comes to places. I can look up directions on Mapquest and follow them with no problem. I can look at a road map and find my way almost anywhere.

So, it will probably not come as a surprise that for years I have been vehemently opposed to the use of a GPS. Not that I have anything against a GPS, itself. They are great for people who have trouble with directions or reading maps. But for someone like me who is a whiz at that stuff I felt it was a waste of money.

Unbeknownst to me, my husband bought one and I was LIVID. Until he pointed out that he got it for when he goes to drill because he is not as good at directions as I am. Oh yeah.

If you read my earlier post about getting a new car and wanting a navigation sytem built in you may be wondering if hell has frozen over.

Well, it has not. I am wanting a GPS system in my new car AND if I take Bertha to California I am planning on taking the GPS TJ bought.

Why, you may ask? Surely the queen of directions amd maps can find her way back to her home state? Surely she can MapQuest directions to the places she is staying and take along a map!

Well, yes, I can, but the truth of the matter is that a GPS is just so much more convenient!! My friend, Amanda, always used hers when we went to Topeka or OP and it was just so easy.

So that is why I have decided to jump on the GPS bandwagon. Convenience and ease.

Now, if you will excuse me, I am off to go buy a car..with GPS!

3 comments:

That corgi :) said...

Yea!!! That's great you do have that photographic memory with directions/maps, my husband is like that; he can get us places we haven't been in years. I on the other than always get lost the first time I go anywhere :)

I love our GPS for the reason I used to be the map reader for new places; now I can relax and enjoy the trip; so much more calming :)

can't wait to see a picture of your new vehicle!

betty

~JarieLyn~ said...

I for one, am not as good at reading maps, but I do have something in common with you. I can quickly identify Brady Bunch episodes too, as well as recall the lines of the characters before they speak.

Good luck buying your new car.

GingerV said...

oh you two, I don't know any brady bunch although I can remmeber who you are talking about - I used to know all the Star treck episodes and was pretty irritated when they started with the NEW version - wont ever be as good.
I am one of those that even though I may not know exactly were I am can walk or drive one way then the other and find myself. I did have some difficultiy with moving to the Southern hemisphere and found that north was south etc. don't trust the GPS absolutely or google maps for that matter - they don't update as quickly as city governments change street direction.