Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Long Drive and Back In Vail

I knew that there was no way I could drive back through Vail and not stop there so I booked another night at the Sebastian. I got up really early on Tuesday morning to make the drive (10+ hours). The drive through Nevada and Arizona was nice, but through Southern Utah it was horrible. Except for stopping at one of the viewing areas on the 105 miles and buying an ankle bracelet made by Native Americans





I was also tired and drinking a lot of soda with caffeine and no water. I was quite happy to be back in the Rocky Mountains again





When I arrived at The Sebastian I was shaking. I thought at first i was just so happy to be back there and out of the car, but it soon became apparent that it was more due to dehydration and some altitude sickness. I was dizzy, too. I rested in the room and ordered room service. I had a delicious pasta dish which helped alot and I took a short walk around town. I also watched The Real Housewives of Orange County.

The plan was to leave the next day, but my body had other ideas.....

When I woke up I still wasn't feeling 100%. I had breakfast at the hotel and read a little in the library. I did some hard thinking. I was supposed to be home that afternoon, but my body, heart and mind was telling me I wasn't ready. So I went to the front desk and asked if I could stay another night. My room was available so I did not even have to move!! That took a weight off of my mind. I made a spa appointment, called TJ and went back to bed for a few hours. When I woke up I felt so much better. I had a massage and went swimming. I bought a sandwich and took a long walk and ate it by the river. I got hot chocolate at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. I read in the hotel library and sat by the outdoor fire

I felt so much better and the next morning I was ready to go home :)

2 comments:

That corgi :) said...

You were wise to stay that extra day in Vail! I know when we moved to Santa Fe, the "natives" there warned us to drink lots of water and to take it easy for the first few days we were there until our bodies adjusted to the 7000 feet altitude. When my mom came to visit that summer, I started her even before she came on drinking lots of water and when she got to town, so to speak, she always carried a water bottle with her and had no problems. We don't realize how much difference it is on our bodies being in a higher altitude until we experience it.

betty

Fuzzy Tales said...

Glad you were able to stay the extra night and that you felt better. I can only imagine how the dehydration + altitude affected you. :-/