Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election 2012

When I was a kid in California most polling places were at people's homes. usually they had the booths set up in their garages, but I remember once going to a place where it was in someone's livingroom!!! When it came time for me to vote it was in a public place. I am not sure where it was in Santa Ana(I lived there for a year), but in Whittier it was the Chiropractic College. a few times I voted by absentee ballot. When I moved to Florida it was at a rec center and I had to wait for over 2 hours to vote for John Kerry!! I voted in the last Presedential election while here in Kansas, but I lived on post and was considered Riley County so I had to go to the Ogden Community Center. My wait was not very long. Now I live in Geary County and my polling place is the 4H/Senior Center. I registered too late to get an absentee ballot. I could have voted early, but it is more exciting to go on election day!

That brings us to today. I got up early this morning so I could go vote before work(I wanted to wear the sticker all day). I arrived at my polling place at 6:55 am
It was a beautiful morning. There were quite a few people inside, but once the polls opened the line moved along.

I felt so proud as I checked in and was then led to one of the monitors (I miss booths!!). I was very calm as I voted. Only a couple offices had more than one person running. I voted YES to keep all the current judges on the bench. There was only one measure/proposition and that was to tax watercraft differently from other property taxes. I voted yes on that.

When I got to the end of the ballot and reviewed my choices my heart started racing and as I pushed the CAST MY BALLOT button and CONFIRM I was so excited and proud. I have never felt like that when voting before.

Before going to work I put on my sticker and wore it proudly all day.

A few kids asked me who I voted for and I told them. I voted for Obama. I did not come by this decision easily. But I had my reasons and I also prayed about it. I prayed and fasted one weekend about who to vote for and I was sure that the answer would be Romney, but I still felt very impressed on my mind that I should vote for Obama. Maybe it is because God knows my spectacular track record of always picking the losing candidates LOL. In any case, that is who I voted for and if elected I really hope he does not let me down. If Romney wins I will respect him as my President as well. I still think it is pretty amazing that the choices came down to an African American and a Mormon. That is a pretty good sign of the progress our country has made, don't you think? This would have been unheard of not so long ago because of prejudice and ignorance so I am pretty proud of our country right now.

This evening I am watching the returns on TV. I am flipping channels each commercial break to get different perspectives. Last year Jon Stewart told me who won. Wonder who it will be this year????

1 comment:

That corgi :) said...

I do remember voting in people's garages here. Majority of the polling places here seem to be schools, that's where we voted today. It wasn't even busy when we went at lunch. It will be interesting to see the outcome. All I know is whoever will be president for the next four years better do something to turn around America. We can't endure too many more years like the four years we had behind us.

betty