Saturday, December 1, 2012

Christmas Music Review -- Richard Marx's Christmas Spirit

With the season upon us I thought I would do some daily reviews of music I am listening to and movies I am watching throughout this month.

I am going to start with Richsrd Marx's Christmas Spirit

I have been listening to Richard Marx for over 20 years and have loved every one of his albums. This is his very first Christmas album and it did not disappoint.

It starts with The Christmas Song and he does a really nice rendition of it. Next is Christmas Spirit which is an original song and very much in his style.

Then he sings I Heard The bells On Christmas Day. Normally I do not like any deviations from the original tunes of songs, but he does a phenomenol job on this one. I really enjoyed it, maybe even more than the original.

Although not a trditional song he also sings Let There Be Peace on Earth. I grew up singing this at church and I love that he included it on this album. He also sings the traditional hymns of Oh Come all Ye Faithful, Oh Holy Night, What Child is This, and Silent Night. He does what I think is now my favorite rendition of Little Drummer Boy as his version is not so slow. Not too fast, but peppier than how you usually hear it.

Other familiar songs are White Christmas, Santa Claus is Coming To Town, Silver Bells, Jingle Bell Rock and Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas(which I was able to listen to without feeling sad like I usually do). He even sings Blue Christmas, which is awesome.

The only song I did not like was Christmas Mornings. It was too sappy and I had to skip to the next song lol.

I think this album will become my favorite Christmas album of all time. it is the perfect mix of traditional carols and hymns, classic songs and a couple originals.

What is your favorite Christmas album?

No comments: