Saturday, December 8, 2012

Christmas Wreaths

So after a morning of card making and shopping, an afternoon of more shopping, and then coming home to a semi empty, still messy house and an evening of solitude with the cat stretching before me, what do I decide to do??? Make Christmas wreaths of course!!

I bought the supplies today to make this one for outside on my front door
Years ago(before I was born) my mom and grandma used to make Christmas decorations. My mom made ornaments for all her cousins one year, even, by decorating plain Shiny Brite balls with cut out doilies and sequins and colored stones. My grandma made door knob hangers out of felt and sequins and my mom made a 12 days of Chrismas set to hang. It also had plastic snowflakes that became very brittle with age. And even though my dad made a really cool square hanging frame for them, we had no place to hag it properly. I wanted to do something different with them and came up with the idea of making them into a wreath!!
I broke the pointy parts of the plastic snowflakes first so they wouldn't be as sharp. I covered a wreath form from Michael's in a cotton cover.
I pinned the pieces to the wreath form with straight pins. A couple of the pieces have nothing to do with the 12 days of Christmas lol.
I finished it off by adding a tulle bow to hang it. It is on our front closet door, but I would like to get a hook to put it on the back of the front door.
You can see why I did not want to use this one outside as these pieces are very precious to me.

I also made a vintage ornament wreath. Last week I scoured local thrift stores for vintage and vintage looking ornaments. I loosely followed a tutorial Pinterest.
I am pretty pleased with how this turned out. the lighting os pretty crappy, though.
I did not want to use this one outside, either, because if it falls, most of it will break!! It is going on our bedroom door, which is over carpet. Much safer.

After Christmas I am going to look for Christmas balls on sale and make another one next year, hopefully.

Have you ever made a wreath? Last year I made a fabric scrap one and a yarn one.

3 comments:

That corgi :) said...

I like both wreaths Robyn!! Very cleverly done!! I have never made a wreath but my mom made some. My son has a teddy bear wreath she made for him that he used to hang on his bedroom door every year.

sounds like you had a good day!

betty

Kim said...

I like them! The ornament one is SO cool!

Fuzzy Tales said...

Wow, they're great! I especially love the 12 days' one, what a fabulous idea. Really creative and it looks terrific (they all do).