Saturday, December 29, 2012

Money Saving Ideas

Okay, been thinking about and talking to hubby about ways to save money and budget better and we have come up with a couple things (well mostly I did).

1. This was painful, but I decided to reduce our cable/internet bill by $50 by going down to 17 channels. Those would be the local ones. That was the cheapest option they had. For internet I went with the next to lowest option because we like to be able to stream music and videos. TJ especially. He watches Youtube more than TV. I watch too much TV as it is.

2. We`are going to give ourselves an allowance. For me personally this is going to be challenging lol. I like to get my nails and toes done and go to scrapbook crops monthly. I need to adjust this a bit. I have a stamping club committment for a few more months so until that is up, no crops :( I am going to work hard on not messing with my nails so I do not have to have gels or acrylics. Until then since it is winter I am going to refrain from getting my toes done.

3. We doubled our gas bill this month (oops). Gonna be a little more frugal with that fireplace. Sorry Scout!

4. The electric bill only went up $5, but I am still going to make sure we are not leaving lights on and being frugal with the heater. And the laundry. I can get away with doing my whites biweekly and my linens once a month, but lights and darks need to be done weekly. Also, with the heater, while TJ and I are at work I turn it way down. If it gets warm enough outside I can even turn it off.

5. Water went up $10. Gonna watch those shower times. Plus the laundry cut backs should help lol. And I always wait until the dishwasher is FULL.

6. Cutting down on eating out. I need to be vigilant about cooking.

I think that is it for now. We should be able to start putting a little bit more into our savings.

3 comments:

Fuzzy Tales said...

I'm terrible at saving money. Every few years or so I'll get my debt paid off by remortgaging the house (no savings) and then there will be a vet or house emerg and I'm back in the hole again. Such is life for many of us.

We have "smart meters" here: Electricity rates depend on the time of day. All my laundry gets done on off-peak hours, which run from 7PM to 7AM weekdays, year round, and all weekend. On-peak and mid-peak times vary from winter to summer. I do, on average, 4 loads a week, including bedding and towels, and I hardly use any electricity at all.

Eating out is a big one. I don't "eat out" per se, but I do spend too munch on a McDonald's coffee/muffin...Once or twice a week is fine, but not every day. Ditto for the chocolate I buy. I hate cooking, so that's where I have the most trouble--I'd rather go to a deli and pick up something ready-made than cook. :-/

Oh, if you can bundle your phone/cable/internet, that can save. I was paying Bell Canada $43 per month for local service alone, so bundled everything with our cable company last year. My phone is less than $20 now. I also use a long distance calling card, because I don't make many long distance calls, usually only to my mom.

And I don't have a cell phone plan. A couple of years ago I bought an inexpensive cell phone at WalMart and put $100 for the year on it. I hardly ever use it, so I'm not spending much there. But if you text a lot, it can add up, no matter what plan. Though Canada has one of the highest, if not THE highest cell rates in the world.(So I recall hearing within the past few years.)

Everything is going up...except the average employee's income.

That corgi :) said...

all great ideas Robyn and very doable! turn the heat down at night too by a few degrees and throw an extra blanket on the bed :)

betty

bidetsprayerman said...

A great way to save money is with a hand held bidet sprayer.. The Bidet Sprayer will pay for itself many times over in toilet paper savings which makes this a very smart and green thing to do. Available at www.bathroomsprayers.com .