Tuesday, January 15, 2013

5 Years of Blessings

5 years ago I made one of the best decisions of my life. At the encouragenment of friends I applied for a job with USD475, the local school district. Within ONE day of submitting my application and resume I received a call from the secretary of an elementary school in town (I lived on post at the time) asking if I could come in and interview with the principal the next day. I agreed. It was not a school i was very familiar with and it was kind of hard to find as the front was nestled deep in a neighborhood(though its back faced a busy street and it was next to a large park). As I walked up to the school I noticed that their mascot was a lion. I considered this as a good omen as my first elementary school had a lion as its mascot. the interview went well in my opinion.

The next day I had an interview at the middle school on post. I felt that interview went well, too, but I was hoping to get the elementary job.

I was offered both. Even though the elementary school was further away I accepted that job.

I had no idea at the time how much my life would be impacted by this decision.

Not only have I worked for the last past 5 years at a job I absolutely love I have received so much more than a paycheck. Among the many blessings are...

1. Amazing co-workers and friends. As army friends moved away, my work friends have remained constant. They have been there for me at some tough times and have celebrated the good ones.

2. Kiddos that I love with all my heart and who make me proud every day. Some of them have come so far. I am amazed everyday by these precious souls. They make me laugh and sometimes they make me want to cry (good and bad lol) and sometimes scream, but I would do anything for any of them.

3. Knowledge. I am constantly learning along with the kids. I have learned about the American Revolution (4 years straight now!), Martin Luther King, Shakespeare and science, just to name a few.

4. The B family. I met Miss K when she was in 1st grade and Mr. D in 4th. Through them I met their parents and they are some of the most dearest friends we have.

5. Chicken Patty on A Bun. The greatest school lunch ever.

There is so much more, but I would never end this post if I listed it all!!

One of the reasons (actually the number one reason) TJ and I chose to make our home in Kansas was because of my job. It gave me a connection to this community and an appreciation of the educational system in Kansas.

I am so blessed and thankful to have the job i do and look forward to the next 5 years!!

1 comment:

That corgi :) said...

Neat that it was such a good fit for you!! Congrats on being there for 5 years!

betty