Thursday, July 18, 2013

Train Trip West Part 1 -- Leaving Kansas

This will be the first in a series of posts recapping my trip to California :)

The train I went on was called the Southwest Chief. It pretty much follows the old Route 66 which means in parts it also follows the Santa Fe Trail and I-40.

The train leaves at 12:15am. They don't even open the station until 11:45am. It is small, but the seats are comfy. The station master was very friendly. I asked if they have blankets and pillows on the train and he said they have pillows, but not blankets. He asked if I brought one or a jacket. I had neither. he said someone left a blanket in the station and he had taken it home and washed it and I could have it if I wanted it. I took it and thank goodness!!! That train was cold!!!



For the first couple of hours I had a seat mate. He was a preacher going to visit his other congregation. He was very helpful in showing me where to put my ticket and how to use the foot rest lol.

Sleeping on the train was not good that first night. I took Xanax and it really did not help. Someone was snoring so I had to listen to my iPod. The seats do not fully recline and my legs were hurting. So I only got a couple hours of sleep. Can you tell????

No comments: