Sunday, September 27, 2015

Spiritual Sunday -- My 12 Year Anniversary and the Stranger Who Came to Church

Today was truly a blessed day at church.

It was Fast and Testimony Meeting. Normally it falls on the first weekend of the month, but since General Conference is next weekend it came a week earlier. And what a blessing that it did!!

First, of a personal nature, it was the most important day for me to bear my testimony because 12 years ago today I was baptized a member of the LDS church. The Lord worked on me a long time to bring me to that day. It has not always been easy and there are times I have thought it would be easier not to be a member and tried to question the trueness of the church, but no matter how I try the spirit always testifies to me that it is the true church and to hang in there for it is worth it and rich blessings will follow. The Lord never lets me down and neither does the truthfulness of his Gospel.

Second, we had a visitor today. he came in during sacrament and asked a couple members who were in the foyer what our church believed. They answered him and summoned a missionary out to talk to him. I suppose he asked if he could bear his testimony as well, because he did!! (all are welcome to bear testimony). he told us he had been travelling and the Lord always provides. he said he is always able to find work when he needs it and shelter and food. he said on sundays he always looks for a church. he said that today the Lord led him to our church and that he had to walk 30 minutes to get there. There are many churches in our small town and ours is not near the center of town or visible from the Interstate so i know the Lord did indeed lead him. He bore his testimony of Jesus Christ and told us he wanted to tell us to not give up our faith in Him as well. I cried because it was so heartfelt and powerful.

I was able to talk to him after Nursery and he said he had never been to an LDS church before. He thanked me for coming to talk to him and said that our church was very friendly. He also said that he had a bus ticket for Montana tomorrow, but that today our church was going to find him a motel room so he could get a shower, which he really wanted. Now, he could have gotten one down at a gas station, but our church wanted to ensure he was comfortable and had a place to sleep as well. I told him he was always welcome at our church.

This experience strengthened my own faith in Heavenly Father and increased my admiration for our church's charity. We also needed some help today and the church provided it. I am always grateful for the church's help whether it be material or spiritual. I am so happy with the decision I made 12 years ago to become a member.

















No comments: