Sunday, October 11, 2015

Spiritual Sunday -- Service

I know there is a Bible quote to go with this, but I am not very good at remembering Bible verses or their reference information. Anyway..... lately I have been trying to offer service when it is needed. I have always been willing to help out with most things when asked (like making a meal for someone), but I have been trying to make more of an effort to reach out and offer when I can. One of the things I struggle with is feeling like it is too hard or takes too much time, etc. I am trying to change that. I really try to think about how the service will make the person feel and how I would feel if I needed that same service. Mostly I have been doing little things, like helping out a friend at work with one of her tasks, visiting a sick friend and making a meal, but today I took on something much more complicated. I took 2 cats into my home for an unspecified amount of time. Their owners needed to change their living situation and the cats would have had to stay outside. They are indoor cats. I asked my husband and we prayed about it and felt that we could take them. Our biggest concern is how Scout will act. So far he has been okay, but we have one in a room by herself and the other is hiding. I feel, though, that it will work out. I am relying on God to help and have been praying for his assistance. It may seem like a silly thing to pray for, but I would never have offered to take on this task if I didn't think Heavenly Father would support me. I have had a feeling for awhile, too, that we should have more cats here, but I did not want to adopt one. I think we were meant to have these two for awhile. And I know their owners feel better knowing they are in a house and being loved.

I think it is easier to give service when you know that you are also in the service of the Lord. That was one of the things his mission here on earth was about. Charity is the pure love of Christ (and I am striving to be more Christlike -- I have a loong way to go!!!). I also believe that service is one of the greatest gifts we can give because it is giving of ourselves and our time and talents.

I hope that I will continue to feel the desire to give service.

No comments: