Sunday, May 22, 2016

Peanut Poked My Eye Out

Okay, not really, but he scratched it pretty good!!

On Saturday afternoon, 2 weeks ago, in the midst of Scout missing, I was playing with Peanut, cuddling and tickling him. At one point he reached back and accidentally caught me in the eye with his finger. It hurt A LOT, but I laughed it off and went on with the rest of my day. It continued to ache, but was okay. Then, around bedtime, it started to STING. I posted about it ans was told it may be a scratch on my cornea. I held a cold washcloth against my closed eye and took 2 Tylenol PM and was okay.

In the morning it was still stinging. I sent TJ to the small Walmart for an eye patch. It didn't hold my eye closed so I sent him back for eye bandages. That helped a little more. We went to church and I wore just the bandage, but we didn't even make it to the service. I was hurting too much so we went to the ER. They gave me numbing drops which was awesome and then fluorescent drops and looked at it with a purple light. They could see it had a pretty good scratch. The doctor said if he had torn my sclera or something I would have needed immediate surgery!! But it was just my cornea so they gave me another round of numbing drops and taped my eye with gauze to keep it shut. They prescribed Norco for the pain and Erythramyacin ointment (which is totally different from the pills, which make me sick). They also gave me the names of 2 Ophthalmologists in Manhattan to follow up the next day with. Not sure why they did not recommend someone in town unless they are all just optometrists, but no matter because the guy I saw was awesome. But more on that in a minute.

I went home and took the pain medicine and felt so much better. The next day I did not have to work. TJ stayed home with me so he could take me to the doctor. I called the one office they recommended and got an answering machine. Called the 2nd and got a person. They did not have an opening until after 4, but I was okay since I had pain medication. I went and the doctor was AMAZING. He was very nice and funny. He joked with me about not liking eye drops either. He also had a nice technician who was tall and looked like Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. He said the scratch was healing and to keep using the ointment and to come back in on Wednesday. I ended up staying home again on Tuesday because it still hurt a lot, but on Wednesday I stayed ahead of the pain and went to work. I wore my eye bandage outside, but it was annoying. The next 2 days I wore my regular eye patch and sunglasses. I went to the doctor again and he said my eye was still healing and to keep using the ointment. However, I lost it!! I called after hours and left a message and he called back 5 minutes later and called it in for me!!!! I also had an appointment for Monday.

Last Monday I had my final appointment. I was kind of disappointed, lol. He prescribed a steroid to make sure there is no infection and to keep using the ointment for 2 more weeks. I never picked up the prescription and stopped using the ointment, but my eye feels fine.

I never knew a poke in the eye could cause so much damage!!


betty said...

Glad your eye is doing better! It is amazing how it can heal, even if it takes a bit to heal.


Kea said...

Wow, long time no "see," and no pun intended! Thanks for stopping by. I see you've had a bit too much adventure lately, with your eye and with Scout disappearing for several days. Sending healing energy for your eye, and keeping my fingers crossed you have only fun adventures this summer. The boys send purrs to you, and also head butts to Scout. :-)